Sevendays seven chutneys

Discussion in 'Recipe Central' started by jayan2, Nov 19, 2011.

1. jayan2

jayan2 Senior IL'ite

since i am a working women i used to do idly or dosa in the mornings,But i use to do with diff chuttneys.rice all five days mixed rice,one day chappathi only.sunday with sambar rasam etc.here is the receipe for seven chutneys1. Coconut with fried gram and chilly.2.ONION tomato, corriyander plus red chilly(htf).3.COCONUT,bengalgram,(hav to fry) red chilli(htf).4.COCONUT,GROUNDNUT(htf) onion(htf),redchilli(htf).5.TOMATO.FOR THIS FIRST WE hav to grind tomato with red chilli, tamrind then we hav to keep in the flame.stir and off when it comes like a paste.6.onion,same u have to do like tomato.while keeping in the stove u can seasene with mustard seed.7.SMALL ONION (NTF).REDCHILLY(NTF).STILL i want to do more varities in chuttnies.any idea pls infrom to me

Last edited: Nov 19, 2011

2. Angumani

Angumani Bronze IL'ite

hai jayan

I used to do one chutney capsium chutney : fry onion,tomato,green chilli,capsicum and cook,then add tamirid garlic and make to fine paste and season it.

this wuld give a different taste.

Angu mani

2 people like this.
  3. MVRENUKA

MVRENUKA Silver IL'ite

Oh that is my favorite topic. i will give out lot of them soon. For now, i will tell you a quick chutney. Most of us in south like idli chilli powder. This will taste similar, but will be different too.

Fry 3 onions. once it is fully done, add 1 to 1.5 spoons of chilli powder. Add salt to taste. Just fry for few seconds and transfer it to mixie and grind just 1 rotation. your chutney is done. This is helpful in the mornings, when we dont get time for exotic versions.

1 person likes this.
  4. MVRENUKA

MVRENUKA Silver IL'ite

hi angumani,

Can you give us the proportions also please. How many onions /tomato etc. if we go wrong the taste may be terrible :)

5. MVRENUKA

MVRENUKA Silver IL'ite

My MIL is a very good cook and hence i also started enjoying cooking. i give below Tomoto chutney ( but different. south side people will like it for sure).

1. First we need to prepare a powder and this can be stored for long time. We need not make it every time. fry one spoon fenugreek ( vendayam) and 3 spoons of mustard ( kadugu). Dry grind it and store in a container.
    2. Grind 6 raw medium size tomatos in a mixie or food processor. Food processor texture will be better, bcos we do not want it to be like water. Should be juicy but should stop before it becomes absolute liquid.
    3. In a kadai, fry mustard ( about 2 spoons) and lot of curry leaves ( abouth 4 stems), 1 tsp gram dhal (kadalai parupu), 1 tsp broken urad dhal (vodacha ulutham parupu) and add the contents of the mixie. Just wash the mixie with 1/4 cup water and add to this. Do not add more water.
    4. Add 2 tsp of chilli powder ( i make chilli powder by grinding dhania and red chilli in 1:1 propotion). If you are using pure chilli powder, just 1 tsp is enough.
    5. Add salt and keep the kadai closed, till the oil separates. It should take about 5-7 minutes.
    6. Open the kadai. mix it and keep it with lid open for 2-3 minutes.
    7. Add coriander leaves, asafoetida ( perungayam) and 3/4 tsp of the powder that we have prepared. Mix it and switch off the stove immediately. ( do not leave for longer after adding the powder. it will become bitter).

You may increase the chilli powder / powder we prepared as per your taste. This chutney will not get spoiled easily. It will be a good option when we are travelling. If we have the powder ready, then this is can be made quickly.

6. gsaikripa

gsaikripa Gold IL'ite

you can make tomato chutney& ridgegourd chutney,cabbage,carrot chutney.it goes well with Idli& Dosai

7. preethiitech

preethiitech Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Try carrot chutney, beetroot chutney, pudhina(mint) chutney, coriander chutney.....

8. rkgurbani

rkgurbani IL Hall of Fame

GARLIC COCONUT CHUTNEY
    Roast about 3-4 garlic cloves, 2 whole red chillies, 1 teaspoon of urid dal til light golden. Cool this mixture.
    When add this mixture to your regulat coconut chutney mixture and grind till smooth, Adjust salt and season with mustard seeds.
    Goes very well with idlis, dosas, pongal etc. (I love it with just plain rice!!!)

9. MVRENUKA

MVRENUKA Silver IL'ite

Pudina and coriander chutney:

fry and the ingredients one by one and grind to a soft paste:

1. Vadavam a pinch ( if u dont hv u can skip it). 1/4 spoon Mustard and 1/4 spoon cumin.
    2. 1 spoon urad dhal and 1 spoon gram dhal.
    3. one bunch pudina and 1/2 bunch coriander. ( can add 2 stems of curry leaves also)
    4. 4 pieces coconut, 1/2 sp tamarind paste and 1/2 onion ( no need to fry this).

Season with mustard, cumin seeds, urad dhal and asofoetida. Yummy :)

10. nemesis

nemesis Platinum IL'ite

Hmm this reminds the chutneys of Murugan Idly Shop.

1 person likes this.