Recipe for Birth Masala

Discussion in 'Recipe Central' started by sandray, Oct 27, 2011.

1. sandray

sandray New IL'ite

Hi

Does anyone have a recipe for Birth Masala. It is a spice that is used in curries prepared for new mothers that have given birth. I am in Perth, Australia and have been looking for this for a while but cannot seem to find this. It is available in South Africa but due to customs regulations I cannot bring it into the country.

Thanks

Sandra

2. krishnaamma

krishnaamma Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

are you looking for this? please confirm :)

Angaya Podi (powder)

Ingredients:

Neem flowers 1 tab.sp
    ‘Thipili’ 6 ( I don’t know its English name)
    ‘Sundaikai’ vathal 1 tab sp
    ‘Mantha kali vathal’ 1 tab sp
    thur dal 1 tab sp
    Coriander 1 tea sp
    black pepper 1 tea sp
    cumin seeds 1 tea sp
    Salt
    Redchilly 4

Method:

Dry fry all the ingredients.
    Make soft powder and put it in a air tight container.
    Serve with hot rice and ghee.

also visit this thread, where you can find many recipes for lactating mothers:)

http://www.indusladies.com/forums/k...16-balanced-diet-food-pathiya-samaiyal-4.html

3. Cilla30

Cilla30 New IL'ite

Hi Sanray,
    My grandma used to prepare this masala...great stuff!....but I think in the interest of the mum, one has to be certain of the ingredients used & it's action on the mum's health before consuming it.....by which I mean...re allergies to any ingredient it contains & that is why I think the Aus Govt has such strict rules.What I do know is she used to make it up from roots,spices,tree gum, seeds & another item that resembled an insect....& it is very rare in South Africa(it is not an insect ..but to me it looked so)....I have also been informed by relatives in Perth....that someone is making this spice......try to find out who she is......I am sure she will gladly oblige
    I hope this is some help
    Cilla