Homemade Vanilla Extract

Discussion in 'Recipe Central' started by faith11, May 10, 2011.

1. faith11

faith11 New IL'ite

For those who use Vanilla essense / extract often, this is a very economical way of making your own pure vanilla extract.

Pure vanilla extract is costly and the imitation vanilla essense is more sweet than having vanilla flavour.

To make your own extract, you just need vanilla beans, vodka and clean glass bottles. I used 3 vanilla beans for 1 cup of vodka.
    I

I just made mine...waiting to use them in my baking :)

1 person likes this.

2. agnath

agnath Silver IL'ite

do we get vanilla beans in India, and please share the procedure also, wonderful to know that this can be made at home. waiting for the detailed procedure to make it.

3. faith11

faith11 New IL'ite

I'm not sure where you can get vanilla beans in India, but I have read that India has really quality vanilla beans.

Procedure (I read in various blogs, and I've writted here what I did):

3 vanilla beans to 1 cup vodka
    Have a clean glass bottle ready (mine was recycled jam bottle)

Cut the bean length wise and place it in bottle. Pour the vodka over the beans, close lid tightly and shake well. Store in a cool dark place (mine is sitting in the dark corner of my top pantry shelf).
    It should be ready for use after 6 - 8 weeks, remembering to give the bottle a good shake every week. Some websites say 6 weeks, but I'm gonna wait till 8 weeks.
    I think, as you use the extract you can keep topping it off with more vodka.
    If this turns out a success, I'm planning to do more in small cute bottles and gift them to my baking buddies for Christmas ;)

You can also put split vanilla bean in a container of white sugar to get vanilla scented / flavoured sugar for baking.

4. muzna

muzna Silver IL'ite

dear faith ,
    tahnks a ton in sharing this with us, i'll surely try. is it really so simple.

dear geetanjli
    we do get good quality vanilla beans in kerela. one another place is FABINDIA
    i saw them there just a few days back. i hope others also carry this

5. dimple7

dimple7 Gold IL'ite

if i want to buy vanilla extract from shop...what do i need to ask them...i mean by what name they will understand....
    as am sure they wont understand if i ask...them to give me a packet of vanilla EXTRACT :)