How to make soft chapathi

Discussion in 'Recipe Central' started by srims, Mar 29, 2011.

1. srims

srims Bronze IL'ite

Dear IL,
    can anyone tell me how to make soft chapathis,Am really trying for long to make very soft chapathis.Even though my husband and children say my chapathis are soft and tasty but l feel it must be some more soft.when l eat in hotels it is really very,very soft.so l think some where am making mistake in preparing the stuff or cooking it, l dont know.Ladies please help me.
    Thanks in advance.
    Srims.

2. abhiadi

abhiadi New IL'ite

Hi Srims,
    the trick to making soft chappatis lies in the dough. try to knead the dough with lukewarm water for atleast 5-10 mins.then keep it covered for just 10 mins and u can start making chappatis.

if u make paneer at home, then try with the water that remains for making the dough. some ppl also do with milk or by adding bit oil. but for me plain lukewarm water works perfectly.

love
    adi

3. srims

srims Bronze IL'ite

Hi Adi,
    Thanks for the immediate reply.Ofcourse today am going to try your recepie.
    Srims.

4. DNM

DNM Silver IL'ite

Warm milk works well for me. I find a lot of kneading followed by atleast 30-45 mins rest time helps makes the dough softer and thereby makes chappatis softer.

Restaurants use baking soda to get the softness - it is not really healthy for everyday home use.

5. hamsadhvani

hamsadhvani Junior IL'ite

try my way.
    2 cups of flour
    1 cup warm water
    2 tea spoons oil
    3/4 tea spoon salt and 1/2 spoon of sugar.
    Mix all this and kneed for 10 mins and keep it in a box for half an hour. Or if you want to do it immediately you can do it after kneeding for another 5 mins.
    No need to add ghee or oil while cooking. it is soft and if you want to take it for lunch or outing just apply two drops of ghee or butter or oil on the chapathis after taking out the chapathi from the tawa. It is soft even on the second day.

6. bipasu_1950

bipasu_1950 Junior IL'ite

mixing two teaspoons of curd with the wheat flour while making the dough will also make wonderfully soft chapathies.try it and find it out.
    bipasu_1950:):)

7. chitrajaraika

chitrajaraika Platinum IL'ite

8. shree

shree Silver IL'ite

hi,

i have a doubt in making the chappathi's not in the dough part. do u all put it in the tawa and show it in the direct flame for some time??? which one is more softer the one that is cooked fully in the tawa or the one semi cooked and shown in the direct flame (Pulka type). thanx in advance.

9. Dhaanika

Dhaanika Gold IL'ite

I just knead it with warm water, and leave the dough covered with a moist cheesecloth for 30 minutes or so near a warm surface (top of our gas range works well).

I've also found that the temperature of my tava makes a big difference - it has to be really hot (so that drops of water sizzle), if the tava is on medium heat or so, my chapatis get rubbery/hard if not consumed immediately. Ideally, I find the chapatis are softest when they spend a very small amount of time on the tava/griddle (so it has to be very very hot).

10. Dhaanika

Dhaanika Gold IL'ite

Shree, either way should work for you. I make them both ways-

1. You could either roll your chapatis in a regular circle, then fold it twice to make a triangle, applying a few dabs of cooking oil in the center of each fold. This kind doesn't need to be put on the flame, and is cooked entirely on the tava only by turning it thrice until it swells up.
    2. Or you could roll the regular round chapati, and put it on the tava. This kind in my experience needs a much higher temperature to be cooked on the inside, so as it gets done, at the final and third turning we put it directly on the flame.