Mirch ka Salan

Discussion in 'Recipe Central' started by vadapallisudha, Dec 22, 2010.

1. vadapallisudha

vadapallisudha Gold IL'ite

Hi,
    I had made Mirchi ka Salan today for lunch,so thought to share the recipe with all of u.It came out yummy,give it a try.

Ingredients:
    15-20no big green chillies(u can replace chillies with small or baby simla mirch if u r doubtful abt its chilliness.but it tastes best with Green chillies)
    To Powder
    1/2 or 1tbsp roasted peanuts,
    2 tsp - Coriander seeds,
    1.5 tsp -til,
    1 tsp jeera,
    5-6 - dry red chillies,
    5-6 pods of garlic,
    1.5inch - ginger,

To Thadka:

1med -onion grated,
    1/2 tsp mustard seeds,
    2 tsp -tamarinds juice,
    1 twig -curry leaves.

Method:
    Dry roast til jeera,coriander seeds and red chillies,and once cool blend it by combining roasted peanuts,ginger n garlic to a reasonably fine paste adding little water.
    Wash the chillies and slit length wise keeping both ends and the stem intact .carefully remove all the seeds from inside.
    In a pan boil sufficient water on high flame and drop in the chillies when the water begins to roll and stir for 2m and turn off the heat and cover for 1m.(This is to minimise the spiciness of the chillies)
    Carefully remover chillies from water and see if water is completely drained out of chillies as well.
    In a pan take 1.5tbs of oil and once hot add mustard seeds,turmeric,grated onion ,curry leaves and stir till onion turns pink,now add the peanut paste and stir and cook for 2m add 1-2 cups water and salt and drop in the boiled chillies and cover cook for 5m
    Check if the chillies r completely cooked,see for the areas around the stem, if by chance its not done cook till its done and add the tamarind extract and a pinch of sugar,stir and cook cover for 1-2m and turn off the heat.

This taste best with naan's,parathas or spicey rice.In Hyderabad this dish is made as a side dish for biryani.
    I have attached a snap of my preparation:)
    sudha.v

Attached Files:

2. narra

narra Silver IL'ite

hi sudha,

recipe looks yummy. i like mirchi ka salan. can you tell me what is til?
    thanks for sharing.

3. vadapallisudha

vadapallisudha Gold IL'ite

Til means Sesame seeds

4. SriVidya75

SriVidya75 Platinum IL'ite

Sudha it looks sooo yummy....I made this last week only....from the chillies that I grew in pots :) but they were not spicy though..

5. Vandanaa

Vandanaa New IL'ite

Picture looks yummy..
    I usually add curd instead of Tamarind.(For people who love curd!!!!)