Cranberry Pickle - My experiment

Discussion in 'Recipe Central' started by SriVidya75, Dec 4, 2010.

1. SriVidya75

SriVidya75 Platinum IL'ite

Dear ladies..

Today evening during grocery shopping, we picked up fresh cranberries in the produce section....I never tried tasting cranberries even in juice form....however some how today I was tempted to buy the fresh ones as I wanted to try out a pickle with them.

They look and taste more like Vakkai (telugu name). Very sour/tart.

I made a pickle/pacchadi with half of the berries I bought and the pickle tasted soo yummy, that immediately I wanted to share it with you all.

I took handfull of cranberries (washed and just air dried)
    15 to 20 dried red chillies (depending on how hot you want the pickle to taste)
    jeera
    mustard seeds
    pinch of asfaoetida
    methi seeds
    pinch of haldi or turmeric
    1 tablespoon chana daal
    Salt for taste

Fry all the above (except cranberrries) in 5 tablespoons of oil (by the way I add a bit of more oil to all the pickles so that they stay fresh longer)
    Then put this tadka along with the raw berries in the blender , add some salt (depending on what suits your taste) and blend it coarse paste.

Cranberries Pickle is Readdyy....

Try it and let me know how do you like it...and if anyone knows more recipes please share...I am also planning to make Cranberries daal:idealets see how it turns out:crazy

Attached Files:

2. OOPALL

OOPALL Silver IL'ite

Hi SriVidya,
    I love cranberries but I had never though of pickling. I eat the dried ones all the time as a snack. They are not as tart. I put them on my salads.
    Thanks for the recipe, I am definitely going to try.
    Oopall.

3. kanthaeikon

kanthaeikon Gold IL'ite

Dear SriVidya
    Nice recipe. We use to make this with the same ingredients and method here with "Kalakai" I think it will give the same taste.
    kantha

4. SriVidya75

Yea I guess the Tamil name is different from the Telugu one:)am glad you recognised what I was referring to :idea

Last edited: Dec 4, 2010
  5. shubag

shubag Gold IL'ite

Vidya...Pickles are my fav..being from Hyd...We dont get fresh cranberries here only the ones in sugar syrup which I use in kuskus salad....Your pickle looks so tempting and imagine with hot rice and a dollop of ghee just feel like in heaven !!

6. SriVidya75

I was actually thinking that I can pickle some of them like aavakkai:idea and my husband is laughing and saying ohh god :bonkfor the next 1 week everything thats cooked in our house will be made of cranberries:biglaugh

7. SriVidya75

aaah cheers:cheersme too am a big big pickles fan anytime and in anything I can eat pickles....

8. shubag

shubag Gold IL'ite

Very true...Pls also have peep into virtual feast threads for some of my recipe pics..

9. OOPALL

OOPALL Silver IL'ite

Sri Vidya ji,
    Oh wouldn't that be lovely if we could pickle them like that....cranberry anytime..lol So it's a cranbery week eh!

Another one of my favorite things I do is use cranberries in corn bread. I chop them up very finely and add to the corn bread mixture. I fill up the mini loaf pans with the mixture and bake. Just before they are completely baked, I add some more on the top and drizzle some honey on top as well. Turns out very yummy!

Thanks,
    Oopall.

10. Nitha J

Nitha J IL Hall of Fame

Thats very innovative Sri. Never thought of this. Looks great :)))
    I usually use it in baking and milk shakes.