Dum Aloo

Discussion in 'Recipe Central' started by vadapallisudha, Sep 13, 2010.

1. vadapallisudha

vadapallisudha Gold IL'ite

hi,
    This is my first post in this forum,so i want to begin with my all time favourite and most asked for dish by my guest when they visit us-Dum Aloo.There r various method but i follow the kashmiri style as it is kashmiri dish.

INGREDIENTS:
    -Baby aloo :250gms
    -Onion :1big(chopped)

-Tomatoes :2med(boiled and skin peeled)
    -Garlic :5-6pods
    -Ginger :1 1/2 inch
    -Curd :1/4cup
    -shajeera : 1/2tsp

Dry Masala:
    Coriander seeds :1 tsp
    clove :3-4
    black elaichi :1-2
    green elaichi :1-2
    pepper :4
    dalchini 1-2sticks
    red chillies :1-2
    khus khus : 1tsp.

METHOD:
    First wash the baby aloo and peel the skin and wash and poke with fork and soak them in salt water for abt 1/2hr,drain and dry in a towel.
    In a pan take some ghee/oil(to deep fry),on medium flame fry the aloo till like gold brown,the ghee heats up fast so keep the flame in low and see that the aloo is cooked will,place them on kitchen towel to absorb excess ghee or oil and keep aside
    In a pan dry roast all dry masala ingredients and blend to a power,keep aside.
    Blend chopped onion,garlic&ginger in blender,remove and make puree of the boiled tomatoes.
    In a pan take 1-2 tsp of ghee and add shajeera,haldi,lalmirch pow and stir,add the ginger,garlic and onion paste and stir,once its lite brown colour add tomato puree and stir,and cover till oil separates,add the the masala pow and stir and now add the whisked curd and stir and cook covered for 1-2m
    Add 1/2cup water to make thick gravy,and simmer for 2m,add the boiled aloo and salt,cover and cook for 5-10m.
    Garnish with fresh coriander and serve with rotis or hot basmati rice.
    Do try it,if u dont get baby aloo u can even use the big one but cut them to the size u prefer to present ur dish.
    Send in ur feedback and reviews,
    bye!
    sudha.v

2. Sudha Kailas

Sudha Kailas IL Hall of Fame

Hi Sudha, here very difficult to find small baby potatoes. But sure would give it a try.....your recipe is so interesting....

What is shajeera ?? Please let me know...............

Thanks for your wonderful alltime favourite potato recipe !!

3. vadapallisudha

vadapallisudha Gold IL'ite

shahjeera is thin black spice which resembles very much like ordinary jeera,it has different fagrance and mostly used in biryani's and muglai recipes.
    It is called 'black cumin seeds' in english.