How to make fried green tomatoes

Discussion in 'Recipe Central' started by tashidelek2002, Aug 29, 2010.

1. tashidelek2002

tashidelek2002 IL Hall of Fame

I love fried green tomatoes. In hot weather they are so good when you don't want something heavy or to cook for a long time. Its a simple dish but there a few tricks to getting it right.

You need to pick tomatoes that are green just before they are starting to turn red. It should be a light green and if there is a start of a blush that is ok but don't pick red or light red tomatoes. On the stem end and the opposite end you need to cut the tomato flat taking off the peel, cut out the core but leave the peel on the sides. Cut it into slices about a half inch or slightly more but if you get it too thick, it won't cook enough, if it is too thin it will get mushy and fall apart. Experience will hone this knowledge. The tomatoes are naturally wet so just dredge the slices in corn flour or maida. Corn flour will be crunchier which is better. Fry the slices in heated oil enough to cover the bottom of the pan....cast iron pans work best. Keep the heat just high enough that its frying and not boiling, don't cook on high. Cook until the tomatoes soften when pierced with a fork and the flour is slight browned. Cook both sides.

I love to eat these salted with other dishes or alone. You could also try a chaat masala or to put some spice in the flour. One popular combo is fried green tomatoes, a fish dish and cornbread. Just be sure to let them cool enough before you start eating because they are really hot when they come out of the pan and you can easily burn your tongue.

Happy eating!

2. BeeAmma

BeeAmma Silver IL'ite

Description sounds yummy, I need to find the appropriate tomatoes to try out the recipe. Thanks for bringing it up.

3. sweety62

sweety62 Senior IL'ite

Never heard of this kind of dish. Green tomato recepie.
    Thanks
    Seema