'Balaen Paapu', a quick sweet side dish for puri/chapathi

Discussion in 'Recipe Central' started by sudha65, Jul 16, 2010.

1. sudha65

sudha65 Bronze IL'ite

Balaen Paapu

The name is peculiar to our family ( I don't have a clue why this is called what it is tho':)...'balaen' is probably 'bale hannu'- which is banana in Kannada said very fast ! ) and the recipe is as simple as it can be...

Ingredients :

2 Ripe Bananas
    1 tbsp sugar
    1 glass of cold milk

Method :

Peel the bananas into a bowl and squash the bananas (preferably by hand).

Add sugar and squash some more.

Add the cold milk and stir.

Balaen paapu is ready to serve !

Best as an accompaniment to hot puris. Can be served with hot chappatis too and also eaten as a snack by itself. And the best part is children love (its very hands-on and messy) to make this themselves. So by the time you fry the puri's they have the 'balaen paapu' ready.

Variations of Balaen Paapu

You could add chopped nuts (cashew, almond, walnuts ) and raisins to it, to give it extra pep.

Balaen Paapu as a snack

Skip the sugar, add crushed jaggery, a cupful of paper aval (beaten rice),some chopped pieces of coconut (preferably fresh) and stir. Add chopped nuts and raisins, if handy (its optional). So you have your instant very healthy snack.

Important to note

Balaen Paapu has to be consumed immediately. (Else the banana becomes blackish....doesn't look good but does not diminish in taste)

Sudha

2. Saraswathipv

Saraswathipv IL Hall of Fame

Sudha,

Haven't heard of Balaen paapu before. Thanks for bringing it here.

I thought it is more or less like banana milk shake. But to have it as a side dish for puris..I guess it has to be of bit thicker consistency right ?

3. sudha65

sudha65 Bronze IL'ite

Yes Saraswathipv. You are right regarding the consistency. If you blend "balaen paapu" with some more milk you will get banana milk shake.

Sudha