1. Looking for an Interesting Craft Project? : Plethora of Ideas
    Dismiss Notice

New to Kolam

Discussion in 'Rangoli / Kolam' started by lekshmiremesh, Oct 27, 2011.

1. lekshmiremesh

lekshmiremesh New IL'ite

Hi,
    I am from Kerala where we dont have the tradition of drawing Kolams. But i am fond of them, and I would like to regularly draw them in front of my apartment.
    But I am not sure about the significance of various designs, if there are any rules i must follow while drawing them etc.For example, there are special kolams which are drawn only in the pooja room, right?
    Can you all please help me?
    Thanks in advance
    Lekshmi

2. shambu

shambu Silver IL'ite

Hi Lekshmi,

Kolams are drawn to feed food especially for ants & small insects. Hence, we use rice powder for drawing kolams...

Kolams are a form of drawing.. If you are good at drawing, then definitely there shouldn't be any probs in drawing kolams...

That doesn't mean that only if you are good at drawing, you can draw kolams.. it is an art.. so as long as you enjoy doing it, there shouldn't be any probs...

You can start with pulli kolams & go on to rangolis...Start with small ones & you will surely enjoy the art of drawing kolams...

You can draw any kolam in puja room as long as you do it with bhakti...

Wish you all the best...:thumbsup

3. lekshmiremesh

lekshmiremesh New IL'ite

Hi,
    Thank you so much!
    I am not too good at drawing, but I am okay, I think. I did try out a few and they came out...welll..... passable.
    However, the immediate challenge I am facing is in the form of my 3 year old son's friends :D They love wiping out whatever I have drawn... :p
    I will keep on working at it...

4. anvita

anvita Gold IL'ite

Hi
    now a days we find very less people are interested in drawing rangolis .but it is such good tradition. we only find this culture in India .i like those people who are interested in it.
    you will get many nice small easy appamt rangolis at
    www.iKolam.com | Kolam and Rangoli designs and www.mykolam.com

5. lekshmiremesh

lekshmiremesh New IL'ite

Hi All,
    Thought I must update you about my progress. I do draw kolams in front of my flat regularly now....and yes, the kids do get at it at times. When I am busy I draw simple ones, but on some days... like today, i manage slightly elaborate ones. And guess what, my neighbours ADORE them... We are two keralite, one telugu-tamil and one christian family on this floor.
    i was soooooo happy when my neighbour remarked that her little daughter rushes to the door first thing in the morning to see what lekshmi aunty has drawn today, and that she tries to copy them into her notebook each day :)
    Thanks a lot,
    Lekshmi