1. Looking for an Interesting Craft Project? : Plethora of Ideas
    Dismiss Notice

Small Kolams For Apartments

Discussion in 'Rangoli / Kolam' started by nags, Nov 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nags

nags Silver IL'ite

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 12, 2016

2. vinu0607

vinu0607 New IL'ite

Re: Others : Rangoli / Muggulu / Kolams / Rangavalli : What's a Rangoli??

hi i m new to this IL dont know much aout this,want to post my rangoli designs

Attached Files:

3 people like this.
  3. Yashikushi

Yashikushi Moderator IL Hall of Fame

1.gif
    All these designs are browsed and got from the INTERNET only.Credits to all....

In Tamilnadu, one would find a finest drawn and artistic drawing decorating every house at the front entrance. These drawings are not just merely a decoration, but it has lot more significance to this practice. During festival seasons and on any auspicious functions, the drawing are drawn still larger even extending up to the street! A classic example can be noted from these, a woman's creative at it's best, talent to make it an even more attractive. There is also a competition amongst the neighbors, who draws a finest one! These artistic kolam drawings also an impressive of positive attitude one provides. Every home with happy mood and positive attitude used to draw such fine kolams. Only when there is a death or grief, then it would totally be absent at their homes.

In the olden days, they used pure rice flour to draw such art. It was a kind of feeding the insects, specially the ants of all sorts, that will get its days food from these drawings. Thus, they prevented these ants from entering their home. These sort of drawings also proved the talent and creative imaginations of the house ladies. Oh, while they drew these Kolam, they used bend their body physically which prevented growing pot belly!. Yes, this also worked as a physical exercise for them and gave ample scopes to maintain their fitness as this exercise being a regular routine. It also reflected on a woman's nature, her recording patience, creative values, changing mood elevations! Yes, these are too small to judge at the first look, but surely holds a high esteem of the person who draws the Kolam every day at her front door . Only an experienced person on such psychology and sociology can spot the difference!

This Kolam also an impressive mood analyzer of a woman, who does all the chores of their house hold routines. These drawings would be absent only at the homes, where some one has passed away; they used to mourn for one full year for the departed soul, and the absent of such artistic Kolam would be an indication for a visitors.

If some family is out of station for quite some times, then these marking Kolams would be absent. The thieves used to notice this to enter such homes to steel the valuables. So, when such drawings of "Kolam" is present, even the thieves too would desist from entering such homes. To avoid such occurrences, the neighbors used draw some sort of Kolam at the home entrance of the absentees home. Thus, strengthening the bondage of neighbor-hood.

Apart from the above facts, it is widely believed that Sri Lakshmi, the Goddess of wealth resides at the homes where such Kolam art is present every day. Since this is a routine change that take place every day; before drawing these artistic Kolam, they used to cleanse the place with a mixture of Cow dung and water, sprinkle it at the place where they used to put the Kolam drawings. This is in a way acted as an anti-bacterial agent. Though this practice is not continued in big towns and cities, one can see it in the remote villages and interior places. This practice is more visible during the festive season and specifically during 15th December to 15th January every year. The period is known as Dhanur month and is the fag end of the night time for the Brahmma Logam. On or about 15th January, the Sun enters into Tropical Capricorn which is known as Makara Sankaranthi in northern part of India and Pongal in Tamilnadu. This specific season, the Kolams are largely visitble at every house hold, shed and shelters.

Attached Files:

• 2.gif
      2.gif
      File size:
      102.3 KB
      Views:
    • 3.gif
      3.gif
      File size:
      106.3 KB
      Views:
    • 4.gif
      4.gif
      File size:
      105 KB
      Views:
    • 5.jpg
      5.jpg
      File size:
      67 KB
      Views:
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 2, 2010
    1 person likes this.
  4. Yashikushi

Re: Small Kolams for less space areas(flats)

8 - 8 parallel dots
    1.jpg

7 - 7 parallel dots
    3.jpg

7- 1 parallel dots
    2.jpg

8 - 8 parallel dots
    4.jpg

8 - 3 interlaced dots (Idukku Pulli) Kolam - Start with 8 dots in the center, next 7 interlaced dots and again 8 interlaced dots. Then - put interlaced dots at both ends and stop at 3.
    5.jpg

5. Yashikushi

Re: Small Kolams for less space areas(flats)

More..................

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      165.2 KB
      Views:
    • 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      87.7 KB
      Views:
    • 3.jpg
      3.jpg
      File size:
      102.5 KB
      Views:
  6. VRMani

VRMani New IL'ite

Re: Small Kolams for less space areas(Apartments)

Hi Everybody,

This is Radha from Bangalore. Some small kolamas for Biggners.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Regards,
    Radha

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 9, 2010
  7. Yashikushi

My Kolams from scratch

These are the dinged out kolams from my scratch dig outs, This was done three years before by myself and my old house-owner.Ultimately she is my inspiration for her double lined kolams with exactness.[​IMG]Appreciation for her endowed talents.(actually learned the tippy-toes only from her).The only drawback of mine is can’t keep straight dots. If I start from one end PERFECTLY it ends in a zig-zag end[​IMG] So she helped me in assigning the dots.Then my fingers campaigned over it.

We decorated(more precisely filled the whole street) our front gate with these on Pongal day. I took the snaps from my DH’s mobile and within a hour edited, made greetings out of it and directed to her mail.

While formatting I lost all my datas from my desktop including these stuffs.Now only from the inbox I digged out these savings from the attachment option.(as I deleted the sent items,).Due to some technical faults these attachment dismissed the action of saving. At long last using some proficiency technique got them saved, just only four out of ten.

Now presenting the DINGY DIG-OUTS for your pursual.

Attached Files:

1 person likes this.
  8. Yashikushi

Festival offer.......links for kolam collection.

While searching for boarder kolams I got these sites in Google
    Happy in sharing with you all.
    CREDITS too all the creative hands.

1.Small/boarder Kolams
    Mrs Chundhu: Kutti kolams
    Mrs Chundhu: Padikolams
    http://mrschundhu.blogspot.com/2009/09/kolams.html
    Kolams, Rangolis and more...
    Kolams, Rangolis and more...: Some useful links on Kolams

2.Amazing collection
    Flickr: Deepa Ram's Photostream

3.A different attempt of decorating rangolis
    Chittara Rangoli Pattern Designs for Sarees Floor Jewellery Roof Top Mehandi Designs

Last edited: Sep 13, 2010
  9. Yashikushi

Re: Festival offer.......links for kolam collection.

Meera
    THANKS and too happy to get your glosses after a long gap.
    So these are for you.:)

Attached Files:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.