Gifts for various Religious Functions

Discussion in 'Queries on Religion & Spirituality' started by gvi, May 2, 2007.

1. gvi

gvi Senior IL'ite

Hello Everybody

I know its kind of early for questions about Varalakshmi Viratham . I have a different question about Thamboolam for these functions. I dont know what exactly to give as thamboolam for these functions. Last time I gave brass(o) copper plate and turmeric,kumkum in a bamboo basket along with sundal .

This year my MIL is leaving from Madras in another 10-12 days to the US . So it will be great if I have an idea of what to get from India through her ,so it will be easier for 'vechi kudukarthu'.

So Pls. Chitra and also others, pls give me some ideas for vethilai paakil vechi kudukara vishyam for these two functions. what is everybody planning in India particularly Madras this year.

Also Mrs.Chitra can you pls.start a thread of things to be given on these special occasions.

Sorry if its too much to ask for or if its been already answered somewhere else.

Thanks
    Geetha

2. Chitvish

Chitvish Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Dear Geetha,
    I am just sharing my thoughts.
    Others are welcome with better inputs.
    Giri Traders in Mylapore have started a 4 storied complex with umpteen no: of items including gift articles in all ranges.
    I always stock 3-4" square kola thttus for puja room ready for gifts.
    Shukra Jewelley has a large range in their newly built showroom.
    Every week, there are handicrafts melas from all states in India, in Shankara Hall & C P Arts Centre. There you can buy handcrafted items, typical to that particular state.
    We get "surukku pais" - beautiful ones in velvet, with kolam designs etc. With thamboolam inside, they make a good utility gift.
    I live in Mylapore & my exposure is limited to shopping in this area.
    As I come across more things, I will write here.
    Love,
    Chithra.

sindmani likes this.
  3. Vidya24

Vidya24 Gold IL'ite

Dear Geetha(gvi),

For last Navarathri, I got CDs of Meenkashi Kalyanam from India and gave them in thamboolam. I think my friends liked listening to them.

I think giving copper pooja stuff is very vishesham. I have been trying to get a copper Kamakshivilakku for long since I hear it is auspiscious.

These days, I find that giving the usual comb, mirror etc is not very fancy.Nor is the gifting of Devi pictures and slokam books. Ladies seem to have a good collection already and I do not want my gifts to lie unused in a corner. (My husband keeps telling me that I should not go beyond checking what and if my gifts are good or being used, I can't help it though).

At one time when I was in Scandiavia and did not have any access to SouthIndian gifts, I handed out fruit baskets and coconuts with thamboolam for Navarthri. I know that was good.

regards
    Vidya

4. Chitvish

Chitvish Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Dear Friends,
    Jute bags for various occasions, jute accessories are the "in thing" in Chennai now.
    There are exhibitions coming regularly in the Community Hall behind Nageswara Rao Park.
    Noe a new shop is opened in Alwarpet, T T Road, near Royal stores.
    One can have a look there also.
    Love,
    Chithra.

1 person likes this.
  5. sunkan

sunkan Gold IL'ite

dear geetha,
    y dont u try with fragrance bag available in bangalore, which can be kept in the wardrobe, even dry flower pouches available..and some rose wood mini elephant in key chains, they r very novel and i dont think available abroad,
    tiny marble kum kum choppu with a rose engraved on the top is very beautiful,small wooden engraved boxes to keep ur trinkets indian sandalwood oil, or aroma oil that come in tiny bottles, like lavender damn good to keep on ur eyes if u r tired, jasmine, and many others which u get in all health&glow outlets,now that is the in thing here in bangalore....hope been of help sunkan

sindmani likes this.
  6. kasisheela

kasisheela Silver IL'ite

Hi,

As Chithra Madam told about giri traders itz exactly the right place for getting gifts.There are usually a wide range of gifts to select from.

Some to mention are like small white metal pooja things which can be used for keeping manjal and kumkum in pooja room.There are also little brass kinnam type of item which can be used for neyvedyam in pooja room.There are also set of small happy man statues which are very ideal gifts.Happy Man is special highlight when given as gift by someone.Those small things will also be easy to carry over here to US since they do not occupy much space in your luggage.

These are ideas jus came up to my mind.
    Hope it will be useful to u.
    reagrds,
    Shantha KasiArunachalam

7. gvi

gvi Senior IL'ite

Thanks Mrs.Chitra for your wonderful ideas. Kola thattu is a great idea. I wouldnt have thought it at al.

Reg surukku pais where do we get that. In Giri or Vijaya stores. Could you pls. let me know so I can tell my mil and mother to look for it.

Thanks
    Geetha

8. gvi

gvi Senior IL'ite

Dear Vidya,

CD is another great idea. I think thats thoughtful too giving slokas in thamboolam. As you say I think comb mirror is becoming rare nowadays even in Madras

Also by Meenakshi Thirukalyanam is it Audio CD or VCD

Thanks for your inputs
    Geetha

1 person likes this.
  9. gvi

gvi Senior IL'ite

Dear Mrs.Chitra
    Sorry to trouble you. Jute bags do you get that in shoulder bag also? I will note down the shops name and pass it along to my folks.

I love jute products so I think I will ask them to bring some for me also. I like the juke smell . Weird huh?

Thanks
    Geetha

10. gvi

gvi Senior IL'ite

Dear Sunkan

I guess fragrance bag would be available in Madras also. Marble kum kum choppu is a wonderful idea. Thanks for the wonderful and innovative ideas.

Thanks
    geetha

sindmani likes this.