Lord Ganesa's picture -

Discussion in 'Queries on Religion & Spirituality' started by bindhusubi, Jun 11, 2009.

1. bindhusubi

bindhusubi Senior IL'ite

Hi friends,

I had two photos of Ganapathy at home. According to a person who visited us, said the photo on which his trunk bent towards his left side shud not b kept at home.

Until then, i hadn't even noticed which side is the trunk facing.

Does anyone know abt this? Pls clarify.....

thanks

bindhu

2. ktg

ktg Senior IL'ite

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 11, 2009
  3. ktg

ktg Senior IL'ite

Last edited: Jun 11, 2009
  4. Priya_Mommy

Priya_Mommy Gold IL'ite

Thats very interesting.
    I observed all ganesha's idols at my home. Fortunately all of them are lefthanded and only one is right hand side. SO, I just replaced it.
    Thansk for sharing sch an useful info.

5. Nandshyam

Nandshyam IL Hall of Fame

Trunk: It is a popular belief that an idol with the tip of the trunk pointing towards the right and left are called right-sided and left-sided idols respectively; however this is not the case. One should not decide whether the idol is right-sided or left-sided depending upon which side the trunk is directed. It should be decided depending on the direction in which the initial curve of the trunk points. If the initial curve of the trunk in a Ganesh idol points towards the right and the tip of the trunk points towards the left yet the idol should be considered a rightsided idol. The reason for this is that, the initial curve of the trunk pointing towards the right indicates that the right (that is Sun) channel (nadi) of Ganapati is active.
    2.1 Right-sided trunk: An idol of Ganapati with the trunk curved towards the right is called dakshinmurti or dakshinabhimukhi murti (the idol facing the south). Dakshin means the southern direction or the right side. The southern direction leads to the region of Lord Yama (Yamalok), the deity of death while the right side belongs to the Surya nadi (Sun channel). One who is able to face the direction of the region of Yama is powerful
    2.2 Left-sided trunk: An idol of Ganapati with the trunk curved towards the left is called Vamamukhi. Vam means the northern direction or the left side. The Chandra nadi (Moon channel) is situated to the left. It bestows tranquility. Besides, since the northern direction is spiritually favourable and bestows Bliss (Anand), mostly the Vamamukhi Ganapati is worshipped. It is worshipped ritualistically in the usual manner.

I don't understand this.. - not the tip direction, but the initial curve of the trunk? :hiya:hiya

6. ktg

ktg Senior IL'ite

Hi Nandhu, if you see the picture I have attached, the trunk is taking a bend/curve from his left to right and at the tip, if you can notice, it is again pointing towards left slightly. But this is right sided curve and not left sided. Hope you understand this.

7. SriVidya75

SriVidya75 Platinum IL'ite

I asked the temple priest last week about this question...

He said usually at home we have to keep ganeshas idols with his trunk rounded towards the left side...that is towards ganeshas left side.

[​IMG]

and the priest also said that its good to put varasiddhi vinayaka idol in the pooja room and pray to him..its good for the house and pooja..

now coming to the idol where the trunk is rounded towards the right side of ganeshjee...it is called ugraroopa ganesha usually kept in temples etc...this is the info he gave me..

8. manuroop

manuroop New IL'ite

Hi All,

I am trying to replace the right trunk ganesha photo with a left trunk, but I have a doubt regarding the same. The left trunk photo which I purchased the trunk is towards the left but not touching the ladoos or not holding a ladoo. Please guide me if I can keep this ganesha photo and pray.
    Thanks in advance,
    Regards

9. seekingbless

seekingbless Platinum IL'ite

im confuse now, we must keep ganesha photo with the trunk curved to right or left? :confused2: