Srardha, Tharpanam, Shradham, Pithru Bali or Pithru Paksh ?

Discussion in 'Queries on Religion & Spirituality' started by AKBAR, May 4, 2009.

1. AKBAR

AKBAR New IL'ite

Srardha, Tharpanam, Shradham, Pithru Bali or Pithru Paksh ?

Do they all mean the same ? I am originally from Kerala where it is called Pithru Bali, this ritual is performed for the salvation for the souls of dead ancestors.

We believe that the soul of dead ancestors attains nirvana or moksha by performing Bali on the banks of river or by the sea. A ring known as pavithram made of darbha grass, a full leaf of plaintain, some sesame, cooked rice and water are the necessary items required for this ritual.

Also can this ritual be performed in NY ? If so any idea where I can do this in NY ?

Thank You.

2. santhisantosh

santhisantosh Bronze IL'ite

hi,
    tarpanam is different,it is performed many times in an year...means when evr u go to holy river banks or during some festivals u can do tarpanam,this include only water and black til(sesame seeeds).but all the other u quoted r performed once in an year and that too on the days u lost them.srardam means the ritual performed with shradha(dedication).in NY ALso there r chances to perform the ritual,my cousin performed in pittsburg temple...plz do nquire there(am not that much sure).i really apreciate u for ur shradha toward ur ancesters and towards our culture.keep it up

3. Roopavrajan

Roopavrajan New IL'ite

You can find out from the priests in the temples around .All the names mean the same.