Why Lord Krishna didn't marry Radha?

Discussion in 'Queries on Religion & Spirituality' started by rajiravi, Apr 5, 2009.

1. rajiravi

rajiravi Bronze IL'ite

Day before Yesterday, i.e. on 03.04.09, we attended the Sita Kalyanam performed at our Satsangh on the occasion of Sri Rama Navami. On that day, my friend asked me one question " Why Krishna didn't marry Radha?".:idontgetit:

We perform Sita Kalyanam & Radha Kalyanam. (Even though, we perform lot of Kalyanams for deities, those two are the famous one). But as per the puranam, Krishna didn't marry Radha.

Is there any special reason for performing Radha Kalyanam. Eventhough, Krishna married to Rukmini & Satyabama, I think those two Kalyanams are not performed as like Radha Kalyanam. (Yes, ofcourse, I heard of Rukmini Kalyanam also).

Let me come to the question again, ILite Friends, why Krishna didn't marry Radha?bonk

2. raagini

raagini Silver IL'ite

[ just for information ]

well , this query had been asked and answered many times on the net - but I find this interesting

I have used an external link in this post for information ; & reporting it to Moderators . Thanks :)

Last edited: Apr 6, 2009
  3. manasa_gs

manasa_gs Senior IL'ite

Hey even i wanted to know the answer to this question yaar....

Raagini, i went to that site....but was unable to find this info....

4. Vidya24

Vidya24 Gold IL'ite

I recently heard Sri Velukhudi discourse on this, so here goes a little of what I remember. Apparently, there is no mention of Radha in Srimad Bhagavatham. And this was rightly so, because if any mntion of Radha and Her devotion is made, then a separate Bhagavatham would have to be written just for that. Some say that Radha did not really exist. She is a symbolic representation of absolute love, adoration, devotion and surrender to the Supreme Being. In devotion, Radha is suppoed to urpass even Rugmini, Satyabhama.

Navaljee has blogged on Radha. He says that Radha is the reverse of Dhara, which is a flow implying all our outward, outworldly desires. Radha is the reverse flow into the heart, seeking and finding Krishna in our hearts.

Am editing to add that there is a shrine dedicated to Radha in Guruvayoor. After all thees years, I dicovered it only now.

I guess Krishna never married Radha for obvious reasons. A quirky one would be that maybe Radha never existed.I imagine the real reason being that Radha really did not need a union with Krishna. She had already internalised Krishna in Herself, so they were always a conjoint unified Being.Not a couple, but one complete being. I may be wrong here----

Last edited: Apr 6, 2009
    2 people like this.
  5. AbhiSing

AbhiSing Gold IL'ite

Dear Vidya
    Thank you for the explanation. It was intriguing.

And the second reason you have mentioned was...really awesome. :thumbsup

6. manasa_gs

manasa_gs Senior IL'ite

That was a good explanation Vidya....probably as you said, she need not marry krishna as she is already a part of him....

7. rajiravi

rajiravi Bronze IL'ite

Dear vidya,

Thanks a lot for the information provided by you. I would also like to have a clarrification on one more question. Why do we give more importance to Radha Kalyanam, than Rukmini Kalyanam. From your above explanation, i could guess that since she had already internalised Krishna in Herself, it is very apt to perform Radha Kalyanam. Isn't it?

8. Vidya24

Vidya24 Gold IL'ite

Dear Abhi, Manasa, Raji,

Abhi and Manasa- thanks for writing in.

Raji- Good question! I thought both Radha Kalyanam and Rukmini Kalyanam are done with equal importance/priority- but your question set me also thinking. Somehow, the concept of separating Radha and Krishna is seen as disastrous. In Ashtapadi, if we sing Muhaari,' Vadasi yadi Kinchithapi'-- we are told not to stop there. Immediately, we have to sing 'Pravisha Radhae MAadhava Sameepam', even though it is not the next verse.

I guess this to be the reason. We do any Kalyana Utsavam as a token of our Bhakti (love) for God. And in that context, as Raji says, Radha probably surpasses Rukmini in Her Bhakti and affection.

I asked my mom about this, since she and my Dad used to conduct Radha Kalyanam regularly with their own English translations. Mom says that Radha Kalyanam has fewer rituals associated with it than Rumini Kalyanam. The engagement, pachapaadi chuttal etc are not done among certain other rituals that are omitted/not prescribed.

Radha's original Kalyanam with Krishna also did not take place as a wedding per se. It is more an evocative ( I dunno if I can use the word tantric here) ceremony, where any soul (Radha) thirsting for union with the Paramatma is united with Krishna/Supreme Being.Radha symbolises the energy of devotion. So, Radha Kalyanam is more significant when we do a Thirukalyanam as a method to merge ourselves with God.

Also, if we look at how Krishna and Radha interacted, they took more liberties with each other. Krishna probably took more freedom with Radha than His other wives. Their play, fights, making up- all were passionate and charged. There was an underlying acceptance of each other, flaws and perfections included. I sometimes think that Radha was an illusion. She completed Krishna, rather than Krishna completing Radha. Radha was probably to Krishna, what Hanumar was to Sri Raama. An embodiment of fulfilled Bhakti with no demands from the Master.

So, I suppose for these obvious reasons, Radha Kalyanam is more important that Rukmini Kalyanam.

Raji - As an off shoot of your question, I am reminded of what Sri Vijay Siva said during the MArgazhi concerts while talking and singing on the subject ThiruKkalyanam. He said that we perform Andal Kalyanam, Radha Kalyanam, Rukmini Kalyanam but never Satyabhama Kalyanam. Again, we do Seeta Kalyanam and Valli Kalyanam but no Devasena Kalyanam.

Sri Vijay Siva quipped that in olden days, only love marriages were given importance. Radha, Rukmini and Andal- all independently chose their Spouse. Satyabhama was an arranged marriage. Again Valli-Murugan is love marriage.Murugan-Devasena (Shasti Devi) is arranged marriage. Seetha and Raama is also considered love marriage since Seetha saw the reflection of Raama in Her diamond bangle and fell in love with Gambheera Gaatra- Raghukula Raama.

Jokes apart, I think the real meaning here is the spontaniety. When the lady sees Her Lord, and the feelings of love and Bhakti arise naturally, as compared to a union arranged by elders, sages,Gods- then that union is more meaningful and invocative than the latter.Hence, only certain Kalyann Utsavams are performed since what they ultimately denote is the yearning of the ordinary Bhkata to reach God.

This thread is becoming so interesting. Raji- thanks for starting this.

9. Meenamohan

Meenamohan Silver IL'ite

Thank you Vidya,
    you explanations are great!

Raji actually I asked the same question to my paati when I was doing my 6th standard. Yearly in our bhajanai madam they do all these kalyan utsavams. So I asked the same question to my paati. Simply she said

"Since Radha did not marry him we as bhakthas of Sri Krishna are doing it."
    I told her not to make pranks on me & was angry. Then she explained to me the meaning of her saying. Its ever green.

The hidden meaning in this is she garlanded him with her bhathi and made Krishna as herself. Once Radha asked Sri Krishna to marry her (She was turning the other side like bharathiraja Heroine :)), Krishna did not reply so she turned to shout. But was surprised to see that Krishna turned to be Radha. Krishna asked Can you marry yourself?
    This incidence says that she is beyond bhakthi and no relationship can bind them. RADHA WON KRISHNA WITH HER BHAKTHI. HER FORM OF BHAKTHI IS LOVE.

To support this I have to say this incident happening till date.
    In my native village (Kizhambur near Tirunelveli) Vasantha Azhaippu. There they invite Kalyani Ambal and Swami Sailanathar to our village. Parama Kalyani hails from our village & swami is Swayambu. there in the end when Kalyani leaves from our village the elders go till the end of the village road and ADVICE her aloud. SAME like sending away a Daughter ti her in laws house. They cry, advice, give money, do nasser. Their form of bhakthi is also love but their way of expressing it is different.

What do you all think?

10. Vidya24

Vidya24 Gold IL'ite

Meena,

Wow! Your explanation and your paati's narration are all so sweet. How true, there is no difference between the Bhakta and God, as Radha-Krishna proved.

The ParamaKalyani wedding is something that I must see someday.My in-laws live there too and wrote to me in detail about that.How seer is given to the Ambaal, how women cry when She leaves----

Just as I typed my last post, I chanced to hear a dicourse on TV.And what was it about but ThiruKalyanam. The young lady who spoke called it Jeeva-Siva Aikhyam (unity of Jeeva and Shiva as in Jeevatma and Paramatma). She said that all ThiruKalyanams are the union of the devotee with God. And there is no duality after the union. I am quoting her words here,' ara ppidi upum, ara pidi aappum serthal'. Meaning the mixing of a handful of salt and a handful of water. The volume does not increase after mixing. Rather salt merges totally in the water. She compared Thirukalyanam as the mixing process where the two become one.

I had goose bumps when I heard this talk just as I typed the reply to Raji.