Once in a year can I change my thali kayiru(yellow thread)

Discussion in 'Queries on Religion & Spirituality' started by Cindhuja, Jun 18, 2008.

1. Cindhuja

Cindhuja Gold IL'ite

Hi all,

Didnt know where to start this, thought this would be appropriate for the topic.My query is can i change the manjal kayiru(yellow thread) quite frequently?

Due to my mother in law's sentiment i had been asked to wear a manjal kayiru(yellow thread)as thali kayiru instead of gold chain. None of us in our caste nor in my in-laws family tradition, wear that except me and her. me and my family didnt want to upset her by saying no, since it is not a big deal.

I do apply manjal(turmeric) every tuesdays and fridays not only because of the sentiments behind it; also because i want myself to always look neat. I have seen many women wearing worn out or pale yellow or dirty yellow threads. And i dont appreciate that..After all it is part of our daily duties.Like keeping our body clean i also like the thali kayiru to be fresh, though not twice in a week atleast once in a week applying turmeric is necessary.

OK coming to my query, inspite of me applying twice in a week or thrice in a week, the thread becomes very old in a period of time, say the brightness in th yellow color turns into light brown and looks like i havent taken care of it. My doubt is can i change the thread atleast once in a year. Is anything wrong in that. My MIL though knows nothing about the formalities in it since she too being the only person wearing it in our family; but she frightens me it is not a good habit to change it once in a year.

I am really unaware about all these. Some elderly people or someone who is used to it please help me with this.

2. Sriniketan

Sriniketan IL Hall of Fame

Cindhu,
    You can change it once a year...we usually do that on the 'karadaiya nombu' which will usually fall on the last day of tamil month 'maasi and the first day of panguni'..(in English months it will be around-march 15th, roughly).
    You can ask about it in your local temples too...about that day...

sriniketan

3. Cindhuja

Cindhuja Gold IL'ite

Dear Sriniketan,

Thanks a lot for the reply. Will sure check in the local temple.Thanks again.

rainbowresh likes this.
  4. Chitvish

Chitvish Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Dear Cindhuja,
    I wear manjal kayaru now. One can change it every 2, 3 months even, but do not change on tuesday & saturday.
    I make sure that the yogam is good & change it - I do not know if it is possible for you.
    Another suggestion. Please wash it with a drop of shampoo (once in 3,4 days - I use shikakai powder) to remove the grease & dirt. Apply manjal atleast on alternate day if not every day.
    The yellow colour will just sparkle.
    Love,
    Chithra.

rainbowresh likes this.
  5. Sriniketan

Sriniketan IL Hall of Fame

Mrs.Chith,
    Nice suggestion to keep the thali kayiru 'sparkling'.

sriniketan

6. Cindhuja

Cindhuja Gold IL'ite

Dear Chitra mam,

Thanks a lot for the details. Very glad to know that we can change it frequently. And regarding yogam, can i find it in a tamil calendar (daily sheet) like how we see nalla neram and raghu kaalam? Please let me know when you find time. Thanks again.

7. Chitvish

Dear Cindhuja,
    Yogam is marked in the tamil daily sheet calendar. If there are 2 stars in a day, there will be 2 different yogams. Note the time of the right yogam with the star's time given & change. Today wednesday, afternoon was siddha yogam & I changed! :)
    Love,
    Chithra.

8. Chitvish

Dear Bhargavi,
    At my age, should these things not be "athupadi" for me???:biggrin2:
    Love,
    Chithra.

9. narmee_r

narmee_r Senior IL'ite

hi cinduja,

u can change it. i used to change twice a yr. u can change any good day which is not tuesday or friday. i used to take hair bath early in the morning, & i do pooja then i used to change during the good time. but u supposed to do it before 12 noon. if +ble make some sweet & do pooja. while changeing dont remove it just like that. 1st tie a turmeric piece in a seperate thaali thread & tie it to urself before removing ur thaali. then remove ur thali & make all the items in the same order with new thread & wear it. once u wear that u can remove the thread with manjal(turmeric). put turmeric & kumkum to the thaali & the knots. if u sit for it once do not get up inbetween at all. u hv to get up after u finish. thats it. make sure u r not getting any menstrual periods during that time.

go to gowri panchangam & notedown all the timing which is good result(palan). now go to raagu kaalam there take off the time with raagu, kuligai, emagandam,etc........ the remaining time is good time.

the day sh not be a kari naal or marana yogam day. one more thing the day sh be a valarpirai day, not thei pirai day (any day between no moon day & full moon day). just follow these. thats all.

if u r not changing it at all that thread will become weak & will cut automatically by its own. it is more worse than changing.

i think i gave u good suggession. i think this will help u.

2 people like this.
  10. Cindhuja

Cindhuja Gold IL'ite

Dear Narmee,

Thanks a ton for the details will sure follow it.