Doubt about Ayyappa Maala

Discussion in 'Queries on Religion & Spirituality' started by Archana11, Sep 16, 2015.

1. Archana11

Archana11 Silver IL'ite

Hello Ladies,

I just want to know, Can husband wear ayyappa mala if wife is pregnant?

2. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

no. as far as i know from what i have seen around me.

3. sreeram

sreeram IL Hall of Fame

Hi Archana,

I hv heard my mil saying tat husbands are not supposed to wear ayyappa mala during wife's pregancy.

All members in my inlaws side are frequent goers to sabari malai.

4. Archana11

Archana11 Silver IL'ite

Thank you Shanvy and Sreeram.

5. VaniVyas

VaniVyas Platinum IL'ite

No Dear.

I think this is the reason : See during the trisem.. delivery can happen anytime. Even Doctors say after 34 weeks - there are chances at any point of time. So I think in our custom after Sheemadham ( 7 months) both hus and wife cannot enter temple.
    After child birth, I think some 56 days count are there.
    The reason can only be : The Safeguard of the baby as temples are usually crowded and have people from all walks of life. For the husband I only reason I see is not to offend the wife....ideasmiley

6. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

It was a very staunch and strict vratham/rules to follow. and some say it is ok if the wife is past the 1st trimester and you can do your pilgrimage before the third or at the most 8th. but i believe it was because of the risk involved in these piligrimage those days. it not only was no for sabarimala, but for all temple piligrimage up the hills..tirupathi too.

and moreover it is said that the child resides in the heart of the father and the womb of the mother..and they are equivalent to god..so visiting temples after 7th month or doing poojas was not considered right..(I don't want to think it as impure/vizhuppu as some describe..)

and op the husband needs the consent of the wife to wear and keep the 41 days fast along with his mother's.

1 person likes this.
  7. Archana11

Archana11 Silver IL'ite

In Our culture we go to temples till delivery. After delivery till 11 day we should not go to temples or lit lamp near god at home ( not only we, all our family members bearing our family name). On 11th day we do a ritual called purudu and after that we can again go to temples. Actually this month I'm on medication and we are in TTC. We are hoping this month i will conceive and my hubby has booked flight tickets in January and he decided to wear mala on karthika purnima. If I dont get pregnant well and good. But If I get then he should cancel his mala. He was waiting for this from long time. It was in 2012 he wore and after that he could not wear it again. He is looking forward to it. So I just wanted to check if we can continue both things. If I become pregnant also I will be in my 5th month. I might sound silly but both are important.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2015
  8. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

@archana11 babydust to you. he knows what is best for you..

And we do go to temples and all..some rituals like mannats, and other things are are not done by the pregnant lady. all that you have mentioned is done at home too.

9. Archana11

Archana11 Silver IL'ite

And one more thing. If he wears mala we keep a bedroom seperate for him. we remove bed and all things and make it almost empty. The he will put god photos and do prayer every morning. He himself cleans the room and does pooja so he does not need my help and if I become pregnant also my mom will take care of me. She stays just 10 mins away (I dont have MIL so I can go and stay or come back for every 2 days its all my wish. Nobody is there to stop me). Imthinkingsmiley what could be the strong reason to oppose in this modern age. I will anyway go to ayyapa temple and ask priest. I know for sure, Baby should not be born in the family as we will get shusti for 11 days ( same when somebody dies, it will be 1 year) and if that happens they should remove mala.