questions on philosophy , Gita epics etc

Discussion in 'Queries on Religion & Spirituality' started by sarojaramanujam, May 19, 2008.

1. sarojaramanujam

sarojaramanujam New IL'ite

I would be glad to answer questions on philosophical topics based on Gita, Ramayana, and any other prblems based on spirituality which I have done in a separate website already. If any one wants to ask me anything in this forum they are quite welcome.
    Sr.Saroja Ramanujam, M.A., Ph.D, Sanskrit siromani

Last edited: May 19, 2008

2. anushakmurthy

anushakmurthy New IL'ite

Madam,

Thanks for offering yourself to answer questions.

Can you tell me the top 5 advices which Krishna gives Arjuna which we can also apply in our lives at some similar circumstance?

Thanks,
    -Anusha

3. sarojaramanujam

Top 5 advices from the Gita.

1.Do your duty but do not worry about the result.
    2.Work for works's sake and not for the fruit it maty fetch
    3. Give up attachment but love all beings.
    4.Offer all you do to God and perform as an agent of God giving up the notion of agency.
    5. Have faith in God who promises that His devoteewill never perish.
    I can elaborate on each of these from Gita. Pleae feel free to ask for further clarification.

4. dolorcosta

dolorcosta Senior IL'ite

Dear Madam

Thanks for making a summary of age old wisdom in just a few words.

Was just curious about point nbr 3 -we must avoid attachment but yet love all beings. My understanding is that I am attached to my children only because I love them.Is not attachment a natural result of love.

Would appreciate yr clarification

Regards.

5. sarojaramanujam

First of all you should understand that detachment is not indifference.You love you children but when the love turns into anxiety and possessiveness it is attachment Ataachment is always to something that belongs to you and you become obsessed with it. Nothing belongs to us in this world but given to us for use in this life.We must realise that the children are born not to us but through us.Theyhave their own karma and the soul chooses the atmostphere and circumstance that is conducive to exhaust the karma for which it has taken this particular embodiment. Life is like a train journey and when the station comes every one must get out. We dont get attached to the fellow travellers and wish them goodbye happily when they leave.Some stay with us till our own destination and some leave early.Even those who come with you till your destination will have to go their own way once they have come to the station.This is not necessarily to be taken to denote death but even while alive we may have to get off the train and change to another train. Like wise the children and other close relatives have their own destinations and their own travel plans. We do our duty and be happy when they branch out and love should be open without expectations and not be smothering and cause worry and tension. I used to tel my students that when you have to get angry assume anger and show your child that you do not like his behaviour but let not that anger take hold of you .Have anger and do not get angry.Actually in a time of stress only a person with detachment will be a tower of strength because he could perceive things as they are objectively without being affected by it. You will be able to do good to your childen only if you cultivate detachment because your love will then be selfless and without expectations. This is true not only in respect of affections but also in respect of your work. You will do any work most efficiently when you are free from anxiety and expectatios which comes only through detachment.Attachment is egoistic and detchment is selfless.
    Please do not hesitate to write to me if you want to discuss this further.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2008
  6. Sriniketan

Sriniketan IL Hall of Fame

saroja ma'am,
    Liked the eg. of the train and co-travellers...
    Attachment and detachment nicely explained....
    Anger should not get hold on you...is it possible at that moment...if possible, how can we control it...can you give us some tips on that...

sriniketan

7. anubhuv

anubhuv New IL'ite

Namaste
    I am interested in knowing in a simple manner the differences in the teachings of Adi Shankara, Ramanujam and Madhvacharya.
    regards
    anubhuv

8. Vimmala

Vimmala Senior IL'ite

According to various historical books, available with A.S.I, and other source, There was no religion or no name was given.

When Kalabirars migrated to South India, and started demolishing the culture of worshiping Siva Linga, in AD 300, The Saivas were hidden. then when it came to life at A.D. 500., the same Worshipers were turned to Vaishnavism and covered the body of Mahaveer and decorated him as Vishnu.
    The Buddha statue and a pic, drawn at the time of Buddha, resembles Ranaganathar, a resting Vishnu.(It is Available with Oriental manuscript Library in Chennai.

Whenever we visit temples the Priest tells lots of stories, and attract the people who blindly follow and see the Priest as a Private Secretary to the Deity. But the Archakas, or the Priest can not explain the Science but simply says No No we should not question Agamas. But the fact is that he doesn't know the science.

For instance Tirumala attracts more devotees and all the persons, who earn through, steal money and bribe, and create black money make Tirupathy Venkatachalaopathy as his Partner and Put 25 % of the so called money in the Hundy.

A man who robbed a house some time ago said, normally he will put 30% of the stolen money in to the Tirupathy hundy, but since he didn't put the said percentage in the Hundi he was caught.

What a strange act?
    Does the God said or signed an agreement with him?

What is it?

9. sarojaramanujam

How to control anger?
    The answer is, you can't
    That is, if you feel anger you cannot control it. You should control yourself before you get angry.A man approached a saint and asked him hao he can conquer anger. The saint rplied "You count ten before you react to a situation that makes you angry. Then after some time the man returned and said, "Swamiji ,it is no use. I tried what you said but it did not work." The saint asked him waht happened. The man said " When I became angry I counted ten with out reacting as you said but the moment the count is over I could not help bursting out in anger.Tha saint replied " I told you to count ten not when you became angry but before you became angry."This same idea is expressed by the mother of Pondicheri in her advice'step back.' That is before you react even in your thought, stepback and review your next step. Then you will not react to anything hastily.That is waht the wise do.

10. sarojaramanujam

Just one word before I venture in to the comparative study of the teachings of sankara, Ramanuja and Madhva. In the previous post it is said that the religion is amyth or words to that effect. The example cited that a thief promised to put a part of his loot into the hundi and he was caught because he didinot do it is the words of ignorant. No one can escape the result of their actions. In fact he had the thought of not putting the part of his loot in the hundi v becasue it was time for him to reap the result of his sin.Ths is what we say in tamil"arasan anru kollum dheivam nibru kollum. God only knows when andhow one will get the result of his actions and He waits till then. That is all.