Spatika shivalingam

Discussion in 'Queries on Religion & Spirituality' started by jskls, Mar 31, 2015.

1. jskls

jskls IL Hall of Fame

Hi
    I would like to know if there is a Shiva lingam like this and if it is where is it located?

It's a Spatika lingam on the outside that shields the black linga on the inside. The inside lingam has the three vibuthi stripes. There is a small crystal on the top of Spatika lingam too. If you visualize the lingam being offered abhishekam the internal black linga with the vibuthi will still be seen .

Any pointers would be appreciated.
    Thank you

2. jayasala42

jayasala42 IL Hall of Fame

Dear Jskls,
    The spatika lingam that is worshipped in many temples-Rameswaram, Madurai, Kanchipram etc are made up of a stone called 'quartz' excavated from under the earth.crystal clear. There will not be any black lingam image inside.
    I have seen Lingams which you have described in a few houses. There the real lingam is made up of a black or dark brown stone with three vibhuthi straps. The outer cover is made up of Quartz carved hollow just to fit the black Shiva Lingam and fused together with chemicals.During Abhishekam ,milk is poued on the outer cover and you can have darshan of inner black lingam with vibhuthi.In some cases another image of black sivalingam with ash straps has been carved in the middle of the spatika lingam,with permanent enamel paints.
    In many temples constructed as per aagamas the Lingam will be either of granite, Cudappah or Spatikam. Normally they don't combine the two aspects.

In Hindu Shiva temples, Saiva Agamas allow to worship Lord Shiva in the form of Spatika Lingam. Spatika Lingam is representing the icon of Lord Nataraja. The Spatika Lingams are protected in the sanctum sanctorum of Lord Shiva. Hindu priests offer Milk, Water, or Vhibuti consecrations to the Spatika Lingam. They also chant Shiva Panchakshari Mantra is offered 108 times. It is believed that Spatika Lingam removes all curses and negative karma and will enhance ones confidence and power.

Spatikam ,in Chemistry is nothing but silicon combined with oxygen, just like porcelain or ceramics. But out of its special chemical properties it has acceptance in Aagamasastras.
    If you go deep into the matter scientists argue that pure spatikam is not at all transparent and hazy. They say that if we get a spatika lingam which is totally transparent, it is not spatikam at all, but only silicon mixed with glass.
    As shapeless Lingam itself represents nirguna Niraakaara Brahmam, more discussions on technical aspect of how Lingams are made, may make us rather confused in stead of giving clarity.
    We have Shiva Lingam at home that is being worshipped for more than 200 years in our family.
    It is elongated oval shaped made of pure black stone with three distint white vibhuthi patches.We don't have any spatika covering , but have another spatika lingam purchased from Rameswaram temple.

Jayasala 42

4 people like this.
  3. jskls

jskls IL Hall of Fame

Dear mam @Jayasala42,
    thank you so much in taking time to explain in detail. It's a wealth of information. Off late I hv developed this vision of Lingam mentally after I chant KalaBhairava mantra. Not sure if I hv to do anything more or if I m doing anything wrong here. We have been a Vaishnavite all along and somehow got initiated into KalaBhairava mantra chant. Thanks again

1 person likes this.