can we perform abhishekam at home

Discussion in 'Queries on Religion & Spirituality' started by dasikajl, Jun 9, 2014.

1. dasikajl

dasikajl Gold IL'ite

hello
    can anyone suggest whether we can perform abhishekam to lord shiva at home
    if yes
    can u please let me know if there is any simple procedure and what kind of lingam is suitable for domestic purpose
    can it be done in the evenings
    and also ,i always have a doubt on how to do sankalpam
    sorry too many doubts
    please suggest
    thanks in advance

2. pashni

pashni IL Hall of Fame

my MIL does daily.but she started after getting deekshai,ie thro guru.
    but linga abhisekam can be done they say.u get a book vradha pooja vidhaanam.that has who list of regular poojas and their sankalpams.that is all I know.hope this helps

1 person likes this.
  3. dasikajl

dasikajl Gold IL'ite

if u dont mind can u ask her the procedure thanks in advance

4. Saisakthi

Saisakthi IL Hall of Fame

Sister Dasikajl,

Sairam,

I agree with sister pashni, that Idol Shivji can be kept at home, if the family follows a tradition or if you have got a guru who has guided you, because the Pooja should be perfectly orthodox (which in this fast phase in reality it is absolutely not possible) and cannot be doing Abishekam like doing for Ganeshji or Guru Sayee, in your Pooja Mandhir at home.

So replies to your other doubts according to me is ruled out, This is just my opinion, Thanks for understanding.

May Baba guide you always. SAIRAM

4 people like this.
  5. Muthuraji

Muthuraji IL Hall of Fame

As Saisakthi sister said, for Shiva Lingam abhishekam is mostly done only by gents and not by ladies. We have to chant Rudram while doing the abhishekam. It should be done with some formalities and with the help of Guru only we can do the same.

2 people like this.
  6. sumanrathi

sumanrathi IL Hall of Fame

1 person likes this.
  7. Swethasri

Swethasri Platinum IL'ite

While doing the abishekam, reciting OM NAMA SHIVAYA from your deep heart with out any bad thoughts is more than enough for Lord Shiva to bless you and your family. If you want you can recite any mantram you know or run the rudram chamakam in the back ground in a tape recorder. Thats ok. Lord Shiva needs your Athma to be pure and your actions should help others. HE will be with you!! is my humble opinion.

1 person likes this.
  8. jayasala42

jayasala42 IL Hall of Fame

The custom varies in various states. In South India, temple worship in sanctum sanctorum is restricted to the priests of that temple only. In north of Vindhyas, devotees do the worship themselves. Even in household pooja, in South India, men do the pooja with 'abhishekam' to shivalingam, shalagram or idols and women assist them in providing required materials and offerings.

Millions of women in north India, worship in all temples, especially the Shiva temples situated on the banks of rivers, immediately after a dip in the river, anointing the shivalingam with waters from the river. There is no prohibition at all.
    In orthodox families in South, even today women are not allowed to do abhishekam to Shiva unless they have crossed menopause stage.It is not advisable to go against elders and insist on dong Shiva abhishekam just to establish our right. If some conflicts arise due to this small event, the purpose of worship( To attain peace of mind) will be totally lost. While there is murthy of Ganesha and other portraits and pictures, why should we incur the wrath of elders?( I don't think that God Shiva has any objection in women's doing abhishekam to HIm.)

According to Ramayana Sita created a Lingam out of sand in Rameswaram and did Shiva pooja herself.
    Now a days ladies with monthly periods also visit temples.Whether this will result in negative vibration or not ,has not been established.If taken as a routine biological process, no special importance need be attached to these things in this modern era where women have reached zenith in many areas.

Ultimately all these worships ,abhishekams and poojas are the initial steps in the process of spiritual ascension and in a much higher plane,the vigrahas, poojas,the sex of the person performing the pooja etc etc are reduced to nothing, compared to realization of the ultimate reality.

Jayasala 42

1 person likes this.
  9. dasikajl

dasikajl Gold IL'ite

thank you all for your replies:)