What is the significance of red bindi/tilak on a woman's forehead ?

Discussion in 'Queries on Religion & Spirituality' started by meenaprakash, May 12, 2006.

1. meenaprakash

meenaprakash Silver IL'ite

1. The POTTU is considered as a religious mark and invokes a feeling of sanctity in the wearer and others. It may vary in color.

2. The POTTU served as an identification of which caste anyone belonged & their profession (based on the colour or varna).

Brahmin with a white chandan mark signified purity, as his profession was of a priestly or academic nature.
    Kshatriya applied red kumkum mark signifying valour and belonged to warrior races.
    Vaishya wore yellow kesar or turmeric mark signifying prosperity and was a businessman or trader.
    Sudra applied a black bhasma, kasturi or charcoal mark signifying service as he supported the work of other three divisions.

Vishnu worshippers apply a chandan tilak of U shape;
    Shiva worshippers apply a tripundra of bhasma
    Devi worshippers a red dot of kumkum.....

3. The spot between the eyebrows is supposed to be the seat of memory & thinking & is known as the Aajna Chakra in Yoga language. The tilak is thus a blessing of the Lord and protection against wrong tendencies and forces.

4. The POTTU or TILAK is suppose to cool the forehead & protect us and prevents energy loss. sometimes the entire forehead is covered with chandan or bhasma.

5. A more recent school of thought from my husbands's senior consultant at Australia was that INDIA GAVE THE WORLD THE NUMBER ZERO, without which there would be no mathmatics, calculations, business or economics. So, Indians proudly show the world on their forehead a round tilak.

6. A mischivous argument is that the red kumkum signifies that a lady is now taken by somebody, and others should be wary of approaching her- danger signal boldly depicting that she belongs to someone.

7. What are your comments ?????

2. sunkan

sunkan Gold IL'ite

dear meena i agree with all ur points ...some more here

dear meena,
    i agree with all ur points and some more to add...it is the no 1 stress spot for accupressure....when u r very very tired just press a finger there along with one at the base of ur head among the double fold which u will find a pit like area...and concentrate .....grt releif after sometime....now the kumkumam is made of turmeric and lime.....both put together give u this colour and as we all know abt the medicinal value of the turmeric....i will tell this is also the spot of sexual arousal according to lord kama....and ambal has this place among the centre of her bow that is our eye brow...very sensitive for meditation and for many things...if u were to press it too hard u get a diff kind of reaction something unpleasant....so totally one of the most sensitive spot it taken care of with medicianla value .......regards sunkan

3. sudhavnarasimhan

sudhavnarasimhan Silver IL'ite

Hi,
    That was a comprehensive info on Bindi, Kumkum....i was not really aware of the colour differences .....
    But what do u think now...is it okay to wear all this artificial ones....i hope even if thy r not of any help, they should not be harmful....do weblock any good energy going in with these plastics or whateverthese are made of! Suggestions plz.....
    Thanks Meena and Sundari...for all the info....

4. meenaprakash

meenaprakash Silver IL'ite

thanks for joining in...

Dear Sundari,

thanks for adding on some more info on marks on the forehead.

Sudha, except for serving as a purpose of decoration, plastic reusable "stick bindis" is not very beneficial.

REgards,

5. drs3232

drs3232 Silver IL'ite

Re: thanks for joining in...

I accept all arguments but believe the purpose is to distract people with an evil eye so that they will not influence you and their attention is diverted from your eyes.

6. Thangakkodam

Thangakkodam New IL'ite

சுமங்கலிகளுக்கு தாம்பூலத்தில் வெற்றிலை பாக்கு மஞ்சள் கொடுப்பதன் தாத்பர்யம் என்ன?

விதவைகள் ஏன் இவற்றை உபயோகிக்கக் கூடாது?

ஏன் அவர்களுக்குத் தருவதில்லை?