LalithaAmbigai

Discussion in 'Queries on Religion & Spirituality' started by madraskrishnan, Jul 13, 2013.

1. madraskrishnan

madraskrishnan Junior IL'ite

Hi ladies,

I have various questions about LalithaAmbigai.

First., LalithaAmbigai is the Universal Goddess. So, LalithaAmbigai and Devi Parashakthi, Are they same? If so why are they worshipped differently and this different form?

Second. If Sraswathi, Lakshmi and Parvathi had emerged out of Lalitha Ambigai,
    how can Lalitha Ambigai be the consort of Lord Shiva.

Can anyone enlighten me on this

MadrasKrishnana:)

2. dave08

dave08 New IL'ite

Hi MadrasKrishnan,
    You are interpreting this too literally. Let me give you an analogy I have learnt from attending a spiritual discourse.
    Cheese, yoghurt, curd, ghee, buttermilk is formed by processing milk. So, they are milk products but then again they originate from milk. Similarly, in Hinduism, it is believed that there is only One Supreme Soul, Being and Power, who is both formless and with form. The forms taken eg Shiva, Vishnu, Lalitha so on and so forth are manifestations of the same Supreme One. The reason different forms of the Supreme Being are worshipped is that human beings inherently need to use their senses to feel, touch, hear and see God.

In the Rig Veda, it is mentioned that, 'The Truth is One, but is know by many names.'

Last edited: Jul 14, 2013
  3. dave08

dave08 New IL'ite

Just to add. Different puranas will extol a certain deity as the Supreme Being. For example, in Durga Sapthasati, Durga is extolled as the Supreme Deity while in Bhramanda Purana, it would be Lalithambighai who is personified as the UNiversal Goddess. In these puranas, there may be different ways of worship of example different Sahasranamams for the deities invoked.

Athi Parasakthi means Supreme Power and its very much a colloquial term used by SOuth Indian especially Tamils to denote the Universal Mother.

Again, regarding Laksmi, Saraswati and Parvati emerging out of Lalithambiga, its taken too literally. If one reads Durga Sapthasati, Durga the Mahamaya was formed from Parvati herself. In certain Hindu mythology, Lakshmi was formed from the churning of the great ocean and was accepted by Lord Vishnu as His consort.

Lalithambiga is the consort of Lord Shiva (Kameswara). I am sure you have heard of the notion, without Shivan there isn't Sakthi, without Sakthi there isn't Shivan.

4. madraskrishnan

Hi Dave08

Thanks you very much for the reply. But still it sooo confusing.The more i try to understand the more it becomes confusing. I was always under the idea that anything with regard to Lalitha/Lakshmi was associated with Narayana. I was really baffled when i came to know that Lalithaambigai was consort of Shiva. Why is that in some pictures she is depicted as seated on Shiva?

MadrasKrishnana

5. swamy24598

swamy24598 New IL'ite

Nice debate....
    expect more answers :)

Thanks

6. luckysangeetha

luckysangeetha Gold IL'ite

To many research into god without a guidance of a guru will be confusing.i would say simply take god and goddess as one and the same.These where all created by earlier by various yogis because ordinary humans have the incapacity to understand the zero factor and so they have various rupas and names so that the human can picturize and understand god.

EVERYTHING EMANATES FROM MIND ONLY.Dont get confused and frustrated just pray on the almighty.
    Humans incapacity is what these pictures and names depict nothingelse

To understand NOTHINGNESS we need to undergo EVERYTHING

2 people like this.
  7. dave08

dave08 New IL'ite

Hi MadrasKrshnana,

I was like you initially, I was so confused with so many deities, so many prayers and methods of worship. Every Purana says its main deity is the Supreme Deity. The Saivites see Shiva as The Supreme one, The Vaishnavites see Lord Vishnu as the Supreme One and Shaktas see The Universal Mother as their Supreme Being.

You will be surprised that Durga is considered as a sister to Narayana. With regards to the form Lalitha is seated on SHiva, its a form of SHiva-Sakthi union. Without Shiva, there's no Sakthi and vice versa.

Also, bear in mind that if one read's the Story of Lalitha, Lalithambighai is depicted as the Supreme One and even worshipped by Lord Shiva. In Durga Sapthasati, one of Durga's name is SHivaduti, as She commissioned Lord Shiva to be Her ambassador. In fact, there are certain pictures where Goddess Kali is depicted standing on Shiva's body and this may be interpreted by SOME that Goddess Kali is more dominant than Shiva.

Please do not confuse yourself with these kind of things. IF you are fond of Lalithambigai, just worship Her as your isthadeivam and the Supreme Being.

3 people like this.
  8. dave08

dave08 New IL'ite

Hi swamy24598,
    Not a debate, more like a discussion. Your valuable input would have been greatly appreciated Sir as you are more learned than myself in Hinduism.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  9. Muthuraji

Muthuraji IL Hall of Fame

I hope going more deep gives confusion in any matter. If we believe anything, we should not go in depth in to that.

Of course, if we believe a person, we should not hear anyone's words of that person and think that in the way what others think of that person. Like that only in God also, if we like to go in depth in to a matter and start thinking of ourself anything, we will surely get into confusion only and will not have a belief on GOD.

10. madraskrishnan

Hello everybody

Thank you all very much for the replies. As u had all suggest iam not going to confuse mysel about who is and what is SHE. Iam just going to worshipp her. But regarding Her Shasranamam, iam trying to understand the meaning of it. Of course there are lots of books giving the explanations, which i find is not a word to word explanations from sanskrit to english or tamil. Can anyone help with any site to find that.

Once again thank you all for helping me