Miracle of kedarnath

Discussion in 'Queries on Religion & Spirituality' started by saro58, Jun 25, 2013.

1. saro58

saro58 New IL'ite

Dear Ladies

I'm sure all of us are aware of the devastating tragedy that overtook the sacred place of Kedarnath. Though the entire town was destroyed in floods, only the temple stood still. This, I understand, is because the river brought along with it, a huge boulder (almost half the size of the height of the temple) in the floods. This boulder came rolling down the valley and stopped bang just behind the temple, thus stopping the flow of water into the temple and protecting the sacred monument. While Adi Shankaracharya's Samadhi and temple were destroyed, it was only the temple which stood as a single witness in the midst of water, debris and dead bodies. What a wonderful miracle!! At the same time, I would also like to ponder as to how the Great Lord Shiva could not stop the floods or save his devotees. Confusing, isn't it?? Could some of you share your views so that maybe I could get more clarity in my thoughts?

2. RajSai

RajSai Platinum IL'ite

Thank you friend for starting such a thread. In IBN7 one day I heard some irresponsible commentaries by the reporter about the damages to the various shrines in Uttarakhand floods. (God could not save himself from the natural calamities; where is he going to save the people) We were replying that Almighty has proved his power by the way the Kedarnath temple was untouched. Whereas the nearby Dharmasalas and so many buildings have caved in or washed away in the floods. So who is the reporter to question the strength of God.
    As you thought, I was so sad when I heard that an entire generation of priests from Rudrapur have been wiped out in this flood. Like that so many tragic stories are endless. So many innocent lives have been lost.
    My husband gave only a single reply.............WE ARE NOT COMPETANT TO KNOW HOW THE HAND OF JUSTICE WORKS WITH OUR LIMITED KNOWLEDGE OF SEEING ONLY WHAT IS HAPPENING IN FRONT OF OUR EYES NOW.......................
    I hope you would have noticed how the 16-ft tall statue of Lord Shiva was washed away in the water. Today only the pedestal is there. On the whole, it shows the anger of the river Ganges and the Almighty. River Ganges had been polluted to a great extent. Also, greedy nature of humankind....building too many hotels / structures on the river banks, hilly regions to develop more business, tourism etc...etc.... have made Mother nature angry to this extent.
    Please bear and excuse me, if I am wrong in my views.

4 people like this.
  3. Dinny

Dinny IL Hall of Fame

About the temple and the miracle...i saw the aerial pics of the temple in the news channels and need i say i was devasted after what i saw.a few years back my mom dad visited the temple & they saw it in its full glory.
    I believe that nature has a way of going from orderliness to complete chaos and then returning back to order.
    Infact there is a universal tendency for all systems to go from order to disorder.
    What we are witnessing now is just a part of that switch from disorder to order...

You asked why lord Shiva didnt stop the floods and save the lives of so many??....
    Well i would say we live here on earth and mother nature has her own ways of showing love and fury.
    God understands that suspending the natural way of life would not allow us to live properly.
    the same reason he does not stop people from being in the rain and getting wet

imagine if your parents kept you locked up in a room and never let you experience life the good and bad

the bad we experience is to make us stronger.....

But i wish we could save more lives in uttrakhand....though kudos to the army jawans who have risked their own lives to save soo many people.

1 person likes this.
  4. RADIODOC679

RADIODOC679 Gold IL'ite

There is a scientific reason also why the temple withstood .It was shown in zee news.the main temple was bulit raised on a 80 feet platform and using vastu priciples for a temple construction (which is sadly being misused by quack pundits claiming to improve your house by making few changes!!!) /Also if you see the nandi is also unchanged by the floods-following vastu principles of ancient times.Most ancient customs-house building,etc,,had scientific reasons for their being hence even in times of misfortune they could withstand .Also is another folklore saying that there is an anceint temple devoted to Devi called Dhari devi on the banks of alakhnanda which is open to sky and houses only the mother's upper part.It is said many attempts to remove the temple in the past had resulted in similar landslides(in 1852 by a local king)resulted in kedarnath being flooded .And here also same thing happened,Dhari devi's idol was taken out on 14th june for relocation because of the temple being overflooded by alakananda Dam and the result is for here to see!!!!!
    Call it wrath of Gods/Cry of Himalayas which has been silently taking all insults upon it heaped by mankind,i guess the tender balance between deforestation and reforestation having been lost,it was bound to happen,bad it had to happen like this !!!
    BTW i am quite lucky to have visited the pristine himalayas when i was a child and to notice its degradation like this bleeds my heart out!!

2 people like this.
  5. upavi

upavi Gold IL'ite

Ur husband has given a very correct reply.

1 person likes this.
  6. NirmalaGoofy

NirmalaGoofy Gold IL'ite

Way of nature to restore itself from abuses. Will humans learn a lesson and respect environment little bit more? I doubt. We will forget this incident within weeks or months and move on abusing continuously mother earth.

7. dave08

dave08 New IL'ite

Hi Saro58,
    What has to happen will happen. Has anybody thought that the dead souls have probably reached the Lotus feet of Lord Shiva, never have to have rebirth again? Indeed, although Lord Shiva may not have had saved his devotees physically, their souls were definitely saved.

2 people like this.