Upanayanam for both son and daughter in Chennai

Discussion in 'Queries on Religion & Spirituality' started by napermom, Feb 1, 2013.

1. napermom

napermom New IL'ite

Hari Om:
    We have decided to perform upanayanam for both our older daughter and our son.

As has been discussed in other threads, I want it to be a true commitment to a spiritual path rather than a mechanical ritual.

They are currently regulars in Chinmaya Bala Vihar in the US. Both of them chant many sukthams, Vishnu sahasranamam, many chapters of Bhagavad geetha, etc. They both absorb all our puranas through books and TV (Upanishad Ganga is their favorite). If they continue that and practice some of what they learn there, I am happy for them.

I know girls are getting upanayanam done in Pune, Andhra, etc. The US Chinmaya mission centers also perform mass upanayanams for boys and girls.

However, for the sake of grandparents, I want to have a simple function in Chennai (just at home with close family only). I need a Sastrigal in Chennai who will support us and communicate the true meaning to the children as well.

Can somebody in this forum help, please?
    Thanks.

2. lathaviswa

lathaviswa IL Hall of Fame

Hi,

Upanayanam for daughter ???????Never heard this before.

Sorry for misleading

1 person likes this.
  3. hrastro

hrastro Platinum IL'ite

Lathaviswa, In the vedic days even girls used to get initiated in brahmacharya !! Even Veda vyasa's wife was an expert in certain parts of the atharva veda... So nothing wrong...

Napermom, I'm glad to hear about your decision.... I dont know any sastrigal in Chennai, but I just wanted to comment on how happy I felt reading about your Chinmaya activities and your children's proficiency and interest in the vedas and upanishads.

HR

4. swamy24598

swamy24598 New IL'ite

GOD bless both your children :)
    Regards

5. plantscantalk

plantscantalk Gold IL'ite

Napermom, i don't have an answer to your question but want to congratulate you for performing the upanayanam for your daughter as well as your son. i didn't know the upanayanam for girls is in vogue in the 21st century, and more so in India, though i'd had heard about the women wearing yajnopavitams during the Vedic times. I'm extremely happy to read this.

Hope some Chennaite will help you with contact details of the shastri-s.

6. bhucat

bhucat Platinum IL'ite

Can you pls tell the area so that it will be easy for the search of sastrigal in and around those areas.

7. swamy24598

swamy24598 New IL'ite

Better you can contact Sastrigals available in West Mambalam Area in Ayodhya Mandapam...
    They can guide you the vedic rituals and procedures for conducting in Traditional manner :)
    Hope this helps

8. napermom

napermom New IL'ite

Thanks all for your supporting words. I have a lot of work to do to convince even my own parents and in-laws :) However, like one friend said, when the first girl in a town or village went to school or college during the Independence time, they probably faced the same protests.

As some of you pointed out, yagnopavitam was done for all people (including women and other castes too). I see it as a commitment to follow Hindu dharma and give priority to spiritual path. (Fyi - though we come from a Brahmin family, even their grandfather doesn't do sandhya vandhanam, etc, so I don't expect them to!)

Bhucat, we are based in Mylapore and West Mambalam. Do you know of vadhyars who have a open mind?

I am in the US, so not able to meet local vadhyars and in this situation, not able to get help from family.

9. hpasu

hpasu New IL'ite

Sandhya vandanam is what gives power to Sacred thread. If there is no expectation that the concerned will do sandhyavandam nor even a hope that they will do, then why this ellaborate reformist exercise. It will be difficult to convince a vadhyar in chennai to perform this.

10. pk202

pk202 New IL'ite

Hi napermom, I am in the same predicament, since I am trying to conduct an Upanayanam in Chennai for my daughter. We are from the US, but we want our family in Mylapore to witness the celebration of my daughter's next steps in her spiritual journey.

Did you have any luck finding a priest for the ceremony? Would you be willing to share a bit with me regarding your experience?

I, unfortunately, do not have the ability to PM you directly, but feel free to PM me if you are able to!

Thanks,
    Pk