Narayaneeyam

Discussion in 'Queries on Religion & Spirituality' started by sarojaravi, Jan 14, 2008.

1. harih

harih Silver IL'ite

Dear Smt Vidya,

It's my pleasure. I don't have a CD but as I just googled for Narayaneeyam and Sundar Kumar I found some matches in so it does indicate that CDs do exist. You might want to download the mp3 from esnips.com and test the quality.

Well, as for PM, I have reached 34 and I hope I will make it a half century in a few days :)

Regds
    Hari

2. Vidya24

Vidya24 Gold IL'ite

Dear Sri Hari,

Thanks again. Will check Sri Sundar Kumar's Cds.

And more than you, I wish you reach 50 posts and get pm facilities. I am here only till 15th, so I hope to meet your father before then. If it is okay, please post his name and location in TVM, so that I can start searching for him. A Guru is never reached easily. Guruvayoorappan bless!

regards
    Vidya

3. Ambige

Ambige Bronze IL'ite

Hari,

This is the first time i'm hearing about 'narayaneeyam'. But I can't get the book in my place. But I like to read it. Could you post and help us? I may asking you a big question, but I'm not sure how big it is? Please suggest. I'm very perfect in reading tamil and having trouble reading sanskrit. But I memorized some sanskrit slogas with the tamil fonts.

4. Padmasrinivas

Padmasrinivas Silver IL'ite

Dear Sri Hari,

I live in Bangalore. A group of us ladies have been fortunate to have attended and just completed classes to chant Narayaneeyam with the correct sandhi etc. As a group, we did a Parayanam chanting 10 dashakams every Thursday and today we finished the last five dashakams. I wish to do a parayanam at home on my own, what is the normal duration - a sapthaham or 10 days?

Padma

5. nirmusri

nirmusri Junior IL'ite

hi all

thanks a lot for a valuable information.

thanks in advance

6. harih

harih Silver IL'ite

Dear Vidya,

Really Sorry for the delay in replying, as I was busy with a personal emergency.

My father's name is Ramanathan Iyer. He is well known there as "Maths Tuition Sir" as for about 40 yrs he has been taking private tuitions in Maths for graduate and PG students. But due to eye problems he stopped taking regular classes for the past 6 yrs or so and has been concentrating only on spiritual activities.

I would also suggest a close friend of my father, Sri Narayana Iyer. He has written a book "Narayaneeya Parayana Sahayi" in Malayalam which provides a lot of useful information for Chanters, like the proper Sandhi.

regards,
    Hari

Last edited: Dec 8, 2008
  7. harih

harih Silver IL'ite

Dear Ambige,

Narayaneeyam is a concise presentation of the contents of Srimad Bhagavatham, in praise of the Lord of Guruvayur, written by a great Kerala scholar called Melputtur Narayana Bhattathiri of the 16th Century. It spans 100 Chapters, each having 10 Slokas as a rule, although there are some exceptions. Altogether there are 1036 slokas in the text, so it's about 1 1/2 times the size of Bhagavad Gita or Devi Mahatmyam. Hope this gives some idea. I can just go on writing about the book, but the proof is in the pudding so I'd just say you won't be disappointed. There are excellent Tamil versions of the book published by Gita Press, Gorakhpur. You can get them also in Giri Trading House in Tamil Nadu.

Dear Smt Padma,
    It all depends on your convenience. If you plan to do it as a Saptaham, you might need to dedicate about 5 hours/day (I am assuming the speed of your recital here) for the chanting. Would your grandchild be patient enough for that :)

Regards
    Hari

Last edited: Dec 7, 2008
  8. Vidya24

Vidya24 Gold IL'ite

Dear Sri Harih,

Thanks a million. I have spoken to your father and Sri Narayana Iyer.Your esteemed father has agreed to meet me and initiate me into Narayaneeyam Paarayanam. And Sri Narayana Iyer has agreed to keep copies of his two books for me.Thanks to Swami Guruvayoorappan and you,the Narayaneeyam path is moving fast and smooth.

Just two days back, I saw a rare 1955 print of Swami Guruvayoorappan in a small glass framing shop near Vazhuthycaud Ganapathy temple. I did not buy it then.But somehow, I feel just seeing that picture has brought me luck. After that only, has the Narayaneeyam path become so easy. Maybe I will buy that picture, if it has not gone already.Thanks again.God bless you, wife and Baby Anagha.:)

Thanking you
    Sincerely
    Vidya

9. Padmasrinivas

Padmasrinivas Silver IL'ite

Dear Sri Hari,

Thanks for your reply. Actually I have planned to chant Narayaneeyam when my grandson is away in play-school for about 3 hours every day. Is there any norm like doing karpoora arathi after every dashaham? I will make neyveidyam every day likeneuappam, Paal payasam, ada pradhaman etc. Are there any special offerings for the Avatars? For Sudhama, I think one has to make the traditional 'Aval'?

Padma

"Dear Smt Padma,
    It all depends on your convenience. If you plan to do it as a Saptaham, you might need to dedicate about 5 hours/day (I am assuming the speed of your recital here) for the chanting. Would your grandchild be patient enough for that :)

Regards
    Hari"

10. harih

harih Silver IL'ite

Dear Smt Vidya,

Thank you for your wishes. I'm just glad to be of help. Even after your travel abroad you can interact with me thru PM. I'd also suggest subscribing to guruvayur@yahoogroups.com, if you aren't already a member. There are plenty of noble Krishna devotees in the group, including several scholars in Srimad Bhagavatham and Narayaneeyam. The discussions take place in a highly devotional atmosphere.

Regards,
    Hari