Why should we not go near God, during periods?

Discussion in 'Queries on Religion & Spirituality' started by sanju, Dec 13, 2007.

1. sanju

sanju New IL'ite

Why we should not go to temples or any god during periods? whats wrong in it. Of course many elders say but why is it so...what's wrong in it?

One day I went to the temple but when I started from home I didn't get any periods but after going there when I m buying some fruits I got doubt even though i went after coming home what I felt is true but i felt guilt for that...from then I wanted to ask this question. Please tell me what is the reason that we shouldn't go.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 16, 2007

2. Sriniketan

Sriniketan IL Hall of Fame

Re: Y Shoulnt We Go Near God During Periods

Hi Sanju,
    I learned from an article that during those days we have some negative energy.
    As the temple has positive energy, and if we go with the negative energy, the purpose of going to the temple will not be served.
    Why we should bring the negative energy and feel guilty later on!
    Even where 'homams' are done, in any religious function, they say that if you had to attend it, then be in some other room till the homam is finished , so that the effect of conducting homam is fully utilised by the performers and not disturbed by us.

sriniketan

3 people like this.
  3. sanju

sanju New IL'ite

Thanku 4 clearing my doubt..

4. sunkan

sunkan Gold IL'ite

dear sanju,
    your article has been well explained by srini, let me tell you about our periyavar shankaracharya, he was distributing sarees to all ladies for some function, and suddenly out of the blue he addressed the crowd, that , please ladies இங்கே எதோ தப்பு நடந்திருக்கு தீட்டு பட்டுடுத்து யாராக இருந்தாலும் சரி தயவு செய்து போடவையே அந்த ஹோம குண்டத்துலே போட்டுடுங்கோ யார் கையில் அனுப்பினாலும் சரி பரவா இல்லை..இதை நீங்கள் எனக்கு ஒஅபகாரம செய்யனும் .. hope u understand tamil, one of the lady has collected the saree even though she was menstruating and that is not good for the person who is conducting the homam or who is donating these.kindly put the saree in the homa kundam and help me with my work here in donating to the poor ladies..sunkan

2 people like this.
  5. jaishree9

jaishree9 Silver IL'ite

Hi Sanju
    Some things are imbedded deep in our mind at unconcious level right from very begining so the feeling of guilt.
    This all impurity & not touching to drinking water ,not cooking food etc all started since when the society become patriachal & females were thought to be of lower credence & all taboos were put forward so they must feel little inferior.Think what wud happen to world if this reproductive phase from female life is somehow stopped. The world will end ---- no?
    There r so many taboos with periods & child birth & pregnancy which maynot be true & it is just that we believe them true?
    Do u know that in ancient egypts & roman periods were considered a a very sacred thing as it is related with reproduction & life forces & so the cyclic blood was considered life giving & seed grains were soaked in it before sawing for agood harvest.
    We all almost follow that we shudnot go to temple during those periods.
    But it may occar in once mind what abt the female daities ? r they dont go thru this ? if yes than why shud there worshippers prevented from visiting their temple ( this is all what I feel a logical argument on personal level I also dont visit temples & pooja during those periods - ha-- )

6. Sriniketan

Jaishree,
    there are 2 temples in India where female deities gone throught that period and that only ladies are allowed to do pujas on those days. the cloth also changes color. It is said that when Lord Shiva danced with Parvathi on the shoulder with rage, Lord Vishnu cut the body of Parvathi with his Chakra, to bring down the rage of Lord Shiva, then the feminine part fell on this place, where the above incident i told occurs.
    I shall verify the place and let you know.

sriniketan

7. Abha

Abha Bronze IL'ite

Hey sriniketan

The place is the temple of Kamakhya Devi (parvati roop), in assam and when the period occurs i have heard there is small stream that flows along the temple and it turns red in color... this is what i have heard ...

~Abha

2 people like this.
  8. Sriniketan

Thanks for this quick information, Abha.
    My grandma also told me that there is a place in Kerala, where similar incidence take place. i had to verify that with her and let you know.

sriniketan

1 person likes this.
  9. Sindhuja

Sindhuja Silver IL'ite

Hi,
    My grandpa used to tell me that those tabboos were observed to get ladies some rest. I think ladies were not allowed to touch the river during that time is because of hygiene.

Sindhu

Last edited: Dec 14, 2007
    3 people like this.
  10. Indhu

Indhu New IL'ite

Hi Sanju ,

I have also thought abt the reason and tried to ask few ...The answer I get most of the time is " going to temple is theetu " and you shoudld not do it .I think many of us dont know the exact reason , We just pass on the info that has been told & taught to us for a long time .I was convinced partly by one answer given by my friend ..During periods you need some rest , coz your body may be weak , so you are being protected from getting tired and other health related consequences by not moving somewhere or doing something ...I feel God doesnt judge ppl being pure or impure based on a natural process that is universal to all women.