Why should we not go near God, during periods?

Discussion in 'Queries on Religion & Spirituality' started by sanju, Dec 13, 2007.

1. Aarushi

Aarushi Platinum IL'ite

Re: Y Shoulnt We Go Near God During Periods

In my family we never had such a restriction. We could go to the temple whenever we wanted...I've gone to temples and offered prayers regardless of which day of the month it is.

My point is if this whole world is God's creation and God is the one who has made us, why will he stop us from meeting him in a 10X 10 (say) room (i.e. a temple) for 3-5 days in a month? God created us, god created our bodies. If he was so ashamed of this or if this natural process was such an impure thing that could contaminate things by just a mere touch, then he wouldn't have created such a biological process in the first place.

About the negative and positive energy..if that was the case, then there should have been a taboo on sick people going to temples too (because sickness also would be like a negative energy I assume). People who have high fever, TB, cancer, sever injuries, HIV should have also been in the "Not able to go to temple" list...However, that's hardly the case and in fact when people are sick, they go even more often to places of worship...and when a woman who has her period goes to a temple, she can destroy the sanctimony of a temple by her mere presence there??

Sorry if I don't agree with this logic or reasoning. But neither my heart nor my mind tells me that it is right.

My 2 cents.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2007
  2. jaishree9

jaishree9 Silver IL'ite

Hi sriniketan & abha
    Thanx for the information. I know abt kamakhya devi temple but disn't know that daitey is suppossed to have these cycles.
    Actually there are around 52 Shaktipith in india. This is when SATI went to her fathers home without invitation & saw insults for shiv she destroy the Yagya & jumped in the ygya agni that caused shiv to perform Tandav nrtya with dead body of Sati & so Lord vishnu to stop the end of earth used his Chakra & it cut Sati in 52 ( ? ) pieces & where they fall that place becomes a Shakti pith.
    Thanks for the information abt the temple in Kerala.

3. namitarao

namitarao New IL'ite

Hi Everyone,

Everyone have their own beliefs but I do agree with Blondie & Arushi. Even if their is negative energy which isn't proved yet, why should it only apply to women? In olden days, if women were given rest , nowadays they can't because our lifestyle has changed so much, then why can't all these old rules be changed. I have heard of so many women faking that they haven't got periods & gone to the temple. Is the lie worth it? I think God has made periods for a reason & he or she can never say don't enter my place. U can't claim, it's not hygenic in this age. Everyone knows how to take care of hygine with all the products available. All these rules were made by people & they can be changed.

Namita.

4. Champs

Champs New IL'ite

Hi!
    According to my religious believe ,I feel this kind of thought is ridiculous,infact there R times when many of the ladies hve periods almost 2 to 3 weeks ,in that case a person will never be able to attend religious functions,My believe is to be pure in ur heart and mind for prayers,this just a natural cause ,in our hse we bathe t& dress up the idols almost everyday & if there is a single female in the hse ,so u can imagine ,yet for the homas and havan ,there should be purity,all is up in our mind ,even when it is pitra time i:e shrad mth ,am the only person to feed the pundit on my mother day,Ibelieve in prayer there is nothing to stop us from,even the myths do not come in our way
    Bye & God Bless
    Champs

5. Blondie

Blondie Bronze IL'ite

Hi AJ,

Just curious what do you say/do when you are that "Elder" and faced with an impudent youth who asks you the very same question ?? will you insist that tradition be followed blindly?? what will the mature thing to do then? As contemporary adults with 90% looking at having teenage children in the very near fufture, what should be our take on this very relavant question if when raised by our children?? Blindly pass on these unverified rituals/traditions onto them just so that they will not upset us/elders??

I know too many questions shakehead in a single para

6. suma21

suma21 New IL'ite

Hi Friends,

I agree with aarushi.We pray regurarly whether we have periods or not.We communicate with god in whatever situation we are.I would tell you an example of my friend who got period on her wedding day..what would she do..?Hers was irregular periods so could not predict earlier before deciding marriage dates....Every arrangement is done with so many guests & mohurthaum just an hour..she just prayed god & carried on with marriage rituals.....she told her parents & husband after the marriage was done....such a wise girl.They are happly marriaged....God wants devotion & nothing else matters.

Cheers
    Suma

7. anjusuresh

anjusuresh New IL'ite

Hi, Am from kerala, and i used to visit this temple you mentioned. The name of the temple is Chengannur Mahadeva Temple, which is situated at Chengannur, Alappuzha District in kerala. there are two main Shrines in this temple,Lord Shiva facing east and Parvathy Devi facing west. The festival related to the menstral period of Devi is called "THRIPUTHARATTU" . there will be 7-8 Thriputharattu happends in One year. On the 4th day devi takes bath in PAMPA river and the funtion finishes with some special poojas. The cloth used during these days are given as prasad.

1 person likes this.
  8. srinivasan_vanaja

srinivasan_vanaja Gold IL'ite

hi everybody,

personally i feel, it is safe and good to follow our elders in this matter.

you need not be that strict like our ancestors, but need to follow them to some extent.

let me give reasons for it is "safe" - during those 3 days and the succeeding 2 days, it is better we keep off ourselves from any divine activities and to some extent avoid going out in odd hours or often. because during those days we become physically weak and that weakness gives lot of stress to our minds too which we do not realize.

some women are aware of their cycles in more concrete ways than men are and we are also aware of the changes in our thoughts and feelings during such times.

we may watch ourselves getting annoyed or tensed for petty things. by this we attract lot of negative sources from outside towards ourselves.

the negative sources i meant here is mainly evil spirits. thats why we are recommended not to dry our clothes under the open sun or sky.

moreover many women suffer from extreme cramps, heavy bleeding, nausea, headaches, and other maladies during their cycle. and they would be unable to perform the physical duties of the prayer during their cycle.

would you all wish to offer a half minded prayers or worship to your Gods?

this rest given to women is a reward for her patience on the fatigue she is experiencing. she will be rewarded as if she had done all her creedal duties without any loss. no man get this. be proud of getting such a reward from the almighty.

when the almighty is within you, try to cherish Him during those days. note that you are not restricted to listen to divine music or discourse in those days. other days you can go to temple and do your physical duties.

9. Aarushi

Aarushi Platinum IL'ite

Hi Champs and Anjusuresh - I noticed that this is your first post in IL...so here's a BIG Welcome to IL!!! I'm glad one of our thread attracted you enough to participate in it.:) Please take a minute and go to the http://www.indusladies.com/forums/new-member-area/11836-who-am-i.html thread where you can introduce yourself and find many others who have newly joined the IL community.

Please also check out our other forums & threads and post your thoughts whenever you want to...:) Looking forward to more interaction with you all in future...

love,
    Aarushi

10. Aarushi

Aarushi Platinum IL'ite

Hi Senthan,

If I understand correctly then your entire point hinges on the following line -

I don't know if you have read biology, but it is a medical fact (not just my opinion or hearsay), that a period happens when all chances of fertility are gone for that month. In lay man terms - all the eggs that were in the uterus lining have died (since no conception took place).

I know many people who kept doing their regular activities - like going to work, to the temple, exercising etc every day of the year and have had extremely healthy pregnancies.

I think it is very important in any religion or spiritual leaning that one learns to question and analyze long held beliefs that are a little controversial. If after due analysis and rationalization, one finds that the belief holds true, then by all means accept it.

Regards,
    Aarushi

1 person likes this.