Guide on Sundarakandam Parayanam

Discussion in 'Pujas Prayers & Slokas' started by navs23, Jun 22, 2010.

1. navs23

navs23 Platinum IL'ite

Dear Chitra Ma'am and other friends,
    I am planning to start sundarakandam parayanam this thursday(day after tomorrow) and would kindly request you to guide me. I am planning to do the 9 day parayanam and this is the first time I am reading sundarakandam.

1) What is the best time to read
    2) Can I start reading the first sargam and go by the 9 day time table or do we need to recite some slokas first and then read the first sargam.
    3) After completing the last sargam for the day, how to end the parayanam for the day?
    4) After completing the last sargam on the 9th day, how to end the parayanam, should I read Ramar pattabishekam and finish the parayanam by offering neivedhyam?

Any other dos/donts please add your valuable advise. Thank you very much!

Last edited: Jun 22, 2010

2. anurar20

anurar20 IL Hall of Fame

This may be useful to you Sri Sundara kanda parayanam has certain basic rules.
    The first sargam has to completed in one sitting. Hence one may need to start every parayana cycle on a Sunday till one pick up speed.
    Please provide a seat (palakai) in front of you . This is for Sri Anjaneya who comes down to all the places where Ramayanam is recited.( Ofcourse he will be invisible)
    The parayanam should be preceeded by a pooja to Rama along with dhoopa , deepa, neivedhyam and harathi. The paraynam should be followed by a neiyvedhyam. Neivedhyam need not be elaborate and can be raisins or bananas.
    The paryanam has to be done in the morning unless it is unavoidable on a particular day. This is true of all poojas except where evening time specified like pradosha pooja.
    Parayanam of Sargas 2 to 68 can be done at will. Meaning one can do a parayanam of even one sloka if hard pressed for time.
    If one happens to end the parayanam on the last sloka of any sarga one needs to recite the first sloka of the next sargam to complete the day’s parayanam. However the next day one needs to start with the first sloka of the new sargam (which was recited the previous day) and not from the second sloka of the new sargam.
    Starting any pooja needs the blessings of well versed vedic pundits and acharyas. Hence if possible before starting take the book to one’s acharya or a well versed vidwan and get their blessings. If not place the book in front of one’s Acharya’s photo, do a shashtanga namaskaram and start.
    The slokas have to be recited musically. It cannot be read out like prose. One need not sing but has to be done at least as it is done in upanyasams. This may not be possible in the beginning but must be brought into practice gradually.
    In one completes the parayanam cycle, the pattabhisheka sargam has to be recited on the last day of the cycle.
    On the Pattabhishekam day if possible have payasam as neivedhyam.

It will be easier if one pick up speed before venturing on any parayana kramam since these require reciting multiple sargams in a single day.
    A sundra kandam book published by Sri Sengalipuram Anantharama Dikshidar is also available.
    Please go ahead and receive the boundless blessings of Sita lakshmana Bharata Shatrugna Hanumath samedha sri Ramachandra.

3 people like this.