Markazhi - month of kolams

Discussion in 'Pujas Prayers & Slokas' started by Chitvish, Dec 16, 2006.

1. Shal

Shal Senior IL'ite

Ohhhh...how did I miss this?? :(

Dear Mrs Chitra,

With an inflow of so many threads on a daily basis, I seem to be missing a lot of good info out here...

Kolams remind me of amma sooooooooooooooooo much....wish I had had the brains to take pictures of the kolams she draws :( Infact there used to be a time that I used to help her with the kolams at the Annual day functions at our Navy colony. Maa kolam, pottu veccha kolam, flower kolam, podi pota lines kolam...she is good at all of them!

The karthigai kolam...oh my, you would be glad to know that we have all types and shapes of velakus in pairs and we would arrange them all in the one big kolam that she would draw. She has given me many velakus, but here outside my house, it's all carpet...:evil:

I make myself happy by drawing kolams in my notebook itself :cry: , so it was very nice and pleasing to see the pictures you have posted...some of them are so beautiful you don't want to take your eyes off them!

2. sathya

sathya Gold IL'ite

ezhuthu kolangal

hello

1.dots and lines
    straight and curved
    read between the lines
    a message for u
    straight dots like people or situation fixed
    you bend
    cross or curve, find new ways
    to reach your goal.
    dots inbetween or straight
    tricky situations
    often confusing?
    don't try quick solutions or short cuts
    like straight lines
    meet situations honestly!!

2. they say ladies who have a beautiful kolam on their doorstep everyday take a royal or noble birth when they are born next!! rajakumariyo?

3. anuradha ramanan the famous writer once wrote in a weekly.. a forecast.. show me the kolam you designed today and i shall tell you your state of mind.. it is so true only after reading this i realised that kolams take beautiful design when i'm happy and just ordinary when tensed.. there's another angle too..
    lines are straight or curved are neat when u r healthy and a little jittery when u are sick ... a time to think of diet ,exercise and good health!!

. kaakka kuruvy ants and co
    used to feed on kolams of flour
    they are not interested in our kolams anymore
    as we add colour and chemicals sore !

5. you end where u begin a nice relationship with mother earth.

6. maathangalil aval marghzi as she is up so early.. biting cold ? didnt realise!!.. bathed and dressed .. kolams and lights... so energetic to begin the day ..reminds of moms and grandma's and their undying thirst to begin the day with kolams.

your line on kolams sure sparks different types of kolams in all of us.. sure they are cute cute designs.. great!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

sathya

3. Chitvish

Chitvish Moderator IL Hall of Fame

My dear Kalpana !

Your F B belongs to the "superlative" category & I am, rightly thrilled.
    Yet another kolam, which was drawn in my daughter's house for New Year with paints - after a few months, we can change the design !
    Thankyou, Kalpana. You are interacting with me regularly. So please take the liberty to call me Chithra. No respectful addressing is necessary in virtual interaction, please !
    Love,
    Chithra.

Attached Files:

4. Chitvish

My dear Shal !

I can understand the nostalgia, you NRIs get when we discuss kolams.
    Now there is a big ad coming on the TV that there is a huge kolam competition to be held on the Marina, this month end. There are K C, all over in each area with Pongal approaching !
    As somebody had rightly said, Mera Bharath Mahan !
    Thankyou for the F B, Shal Babs !
    I am wishing you a very happy 2007 with the kolam drawn in my house emtrance for new year.
    Love,
    Chithra.

Attached Files:

5. Hamsadhwani

Hamsadhwani Senior IL'ite

kolams

The kolams are simply wonderful. Thanks

6. Kamla

Kamla IL Hall of Fame

Feast for eyes..

...seems to be continuing in this thread. Like Shal, I too keep missing many posts with the site getting so busy. I did not realise that more beautiful kolam pics were added here and luckily, got to catch up with it today. You are lucky to have pieces of artwork adorning entrances to your abode. Atleast, we get to have a glimpse of them, thanks to you Chitra.

L, Kamla

7. Chitvish

My dear Radha V !

You are for ever appreciative !
    Thankyou very much.
    Love,
    Chithra.

8. Chitvish

Kamla, you are as only you can be !

I cannot resist the temptation of adding " suited for occasion" kolams !
    You are very sweet with your words, I cannot thank you enough !
    Love,
    Chithra.

9. sujijag

sujijag New IL'ite

hi all :-D

here ther is a beautiful talk about kolams...yes i agree to many of ur sayings about kolams... me is US suerly miss them alot.. as i use to put kolams when i was in chennai...

now in this margali madham my servant maid in chennai doesnt know much of putting big kolam's..so she brought a third gender person to put kolam..

so i would like u all to see these pictuers of kolams which were put by this person here...but i would like to tell u all after seeing these kolams nobody can say were talent is ?.... so just felt like encouraging that person by atleast posting these kolams....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. mangala hegde

mangala hegde New IL'ite

Dear chitra aunty,
    I am so excited by seeing your kolams,as i am getting familiar with the Tamil tradition,i am so much impressed by the way they celebrate their Pongal.It's so thrilling even in the modern era we could see so many traditional things here in chennai,as i have high respect for our tradition,i think my god has brought me here and creating one more opportunity to enjoy every bit of life.
    And one more request with all of indus ladies if anyone know who could teach these kolams,that is also with doble line in and around Adyar pls let me know.
    Tks.
    mangala hegde.