have you been to church

Discussion in 'Pujas Prayers & Slokas' started by gankita, May 6, 2015.

1. gankita

gankita Silver IL'ite

In U.S, we usually see many churches but we usually look for temples. We recently moved to houston and temple is very far from our place. I saw 2-3 churches close to my place. Though i have been staying in this country since long, never went to church. Last to last sunday thought of going to nearby church with my kid. They had nursery where we could drop kids till the time we pray and my kid didn't let me go. I have to be with him. They had some form where i put my details and you mentioned whether its your first visit. I kept form while returning back and yesterday in mail got their welcome card with loving words and $5 gift card.
    I was surprised and glad to see how welcoming are they.
    pour in your experiences too.

2. Shivali3

Shivali3 Bronze IL'ite

I have never went inside the church which is very near to our house. But yes I have sat outside the church and when ever I prayer and what ever I have prayed God has listened to it. Temples are quite far away from my place so for some peace and prayers I go to church and their are chairs outside it I sit and talk to God.

1 person likes this.
  3. peartree

peartree Platinum IL'ite

All sounds good except the $5 gift card. That seems a little tacky to me!

1 person likes this.
  4. butterflyice

butterflyice Local Champion Staff Member Platinum IL'ite

Ahem, ahem.... I think the same too.

@gankita, I have been to churches in India. Like you I am surrounded by them in US. I would love to take my kids there to see what a church looks like, but I wouldn't want to go there regularly. Just this caveat : Nothing in life comes for free. Think about it.

1 person likes this.
  5. PavithraS

PavithraS Platinum IL'ite

Agree with pear tree and butterfly ice. It is not that I do not go to church. I've gone to Shrine Velankanni in Tamilnadu. Not here in US. I've no problems with their prayer stuff as GOD is ONE and PATHS so many. But feel annoyed when they start imposing their faith on others. The $ 5 you mention is like a bait. Many economically handicapped people are forced to convert for monetary benefits. I 've no intention of hurting fellow IL ites or other Christian friends, I have many Christian friends but the fact is they are really good at brain washing.
    Just go to their meetings regularly, if we have low faith or no faith of your own , you are more likely to adopt theirs ! Such is their charm.

Last edited: May 6, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  6. vrikshakadali

vrikshakadali Silver IL'ite

Next step you will be given their Holy book !

2 people like this.
  7. gankita

gankita Silver IL'ite

Well the discussion is now more focussed on $5 gift card.
    No offence to anyone and any religion but
    They were serving free breakfast to everyone that costs money too.
    The volunteers supervise kids for free when adults are praying and no one baby sit your kid for free.
    My intention is not economical or take any benefits; nor do i know what they would do in future. i haave been to christian school where there was church too; christian teachers were very kind, hardworking and friendly. In school i have never been to church.
    was just posting my first experience.
    The $ 5 you mention is like a bait. Many economically [COLOR=#009900 !important]handicapped[/COLOR] people are forced to convert for monetary bene@fits.

not sure what monetary benefits one can get from $5 gift card. :idontgetit:

1 person likes this.
  8. gankita

gankita Silver IL'ite

Is there any harm in reading holy book.
    I was gifted Bible by my friend in India who was not even christian.

1 person likes this.
  9. gankita

gankita Silver IL'ite

Thanks butterfly rice for your views.
    I am not a regular visitor so don't know much.
    On a polite note, don't we get sacred udi from Shirdi for free if requested?
    I heard we do get.

10. vrikshakadali

vrikshakadali Silver IL'ite

Not at all ! That was a tongue in cheek remark for the penchant of Christians to convert persons of other faith to their religion (nothing wrong with that either).