Maa vilakku

Discussion in 'Pujas Prayers & Slokas' started by griget, Jan 27, 2014.

1. griget

griget Bronze IL'ite

Hi,

I am planning to lit maa vilakku ever Saturday for lord balaji praying for a cause. Never lit maa vilakku before, neither my family did it before. Can I do it at my home. Please clear my doubt.

thanks

2. ammubabu

ammubabu Silver IL'ite

yes u can do it at home itself.. it is good actually..

3. Muthuraji

Muthuraji IL Hall of Fame

Dear Griget,

It is good to lit maa vilakku at home. But there are some formalities for the same which should be followed up. You can lit one or two vilakku in the same plate. It should be based on the family tradition. You can consult your parents/in-laws to follow the family tradition.

I may be wrong also, don't think that I am misguiding you or giving discouraging words. Not like that. If you think so, I am sorry. But I am just telling you in a way that it should be done in the way how our family forefathers generation were following.

Others who are well versed can give suggestions also. You can do based on that.

1 person likes this.
  4. griget

griget Bronze IL'ite

Thanks so much for the replies. Our family both sides never did this before. Some how I felt doing this as I am praying for a cause. So I need help from IL family. As our family god is balaji I want to lit every Saturday going forward. Pls help me.

can I do it every Saturday?
    can I do it at home?
    what is the best time?
    what prasad I have to make?
    what is the procedure?

Thanks

5. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

i agree with muthuraji.

in the very little exposure i have i have seen four different varieties of maa vilakku.

1. it is just dry and there is a lamp lit and kept in the centre for a few minutes..the maavu (rice and naatu sakkara in most households..) is mixed very dry.

2. the maavu takes the moisture from heat of the hand and the rubbing. and forms a little stickiness. it is just made as a mound and a lamp is lit. here some make it as a single mount while others just make it two..to light two deepams, though two deepam, it is almost as it if it is single..

3. the maavu is made into ball like consistency with vigorous pressure,

4. another in a deep bottom vessel istelf.

griget, if your family deity is balaji, then doing it in purattasi is the best. there is a reason why people do it in purattasi.

those days it was difficult for people to go to tirupati..climbing the seven hill to have a glimpse unlike today. so it is said that lord balaji will transcend into the jothi lit on your mavilakku. infact if my memory serves right there was one thread by sriniketan where there is a photo of a vision of balaji in that maavilakku jothi..

6. griget

griget Bronze IL'ite

Thanks for the info shanvy, I want to lit lamp thru out the year every Saturday. Can I do it. I am praying for a wish fulfillment. Pls help me.

7. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

i don't know if it can be done every saturday. i am not the right person to answer. but if you want to do it, then do it.

8. ChandrikaV

ChandrikaV IL Hall of Fame

In my mother's deity is Kamakshi amman. My mom used to do maa vilaaku on ond friday during Thai and aadi masam - as the the fridays in those two Tamil months are auspicious for Amman. My mom used soak rice and dry it and then grind to powder. She will add White jaggery powder to it and then put it is a special plate (reserved for it) ....then she will make foor of five depressions in it and then pour freshly made ghee in it, put thiri and light it. That is all I know. So it was done 2 times in a given year in our house.

1 person likes this.
  9. lavanya1981

lavanya1981 New IL'ite

please let me know whether unmarried girls can keep maa vilakku

10. lavanya1981

lavanya1981 New IL'ite

i am unmarried can i do it