Valmiki Sundara Kandam

Discussion in 'Pujas Prayers & Slokas' started by Vidya24, Apr 26, 2006.

1. Vidya24

Vidya24 Gold IL'ite

Hari Om!

I have vowed to give this slokam to 108 devotees, so am using this forum to spread the greatness of Emperuman Sree Raman and His Siriya Tiruvadi- Sundarar/ Hanumar.

We all know that Sundara Kanda prayanam bestows peace and prosperity in household and minds. It is almost no rules, no bars parayanam. Still, for one like me reading even one sargam in a day is rather difficult till I get used to the words.
    For such devotees, this Nava Sloka Sundara Kandam is very effective. And gives the same phalam as reading full Valmiki Sundara Kandam (VSK).

This abridged version comprises nine specially chosen verses from Punya Mahakavi Valmiki's Ramayanam. Each stanza corresponds to an action by Hanumar in searching for and finding Seetapiratti. Also, each slokam corresponds to a particular planet and has a definite phalam attached to its repeated chanting.

Slokam 1 is attached herewith. This slokam corresponds to Sun God, associated gem stone is Ruby.

Phalam: To shine like Surya Bhagawan in life, achieve success and good health.

Meaning: This first slokam is at the beginning of VSK. Jambavan reminds Sundarar of all His divine powers that He has forgotten and exhorts Him to search for Seeta.

Tatparyam: This slokam corresponds to Surya Bhagwan and is considered as good as Gayatri Mantram.

'Thatho Raavana Neethaaya Seethaya Shatrukarshana
    Iyesha Padam Anveshtum Shaaranaa-Sharithae Paththii' (1-1)

Last edited: Jun 29, 2008
    geevee68 and honeydaisy like this.

2. Kamla

Kamla IL Hall of Fame

Dear Vidya..

Thanks for the stanza from Sundarakandam. I especially enjoy the intro you give to your verses, it helps to understand the phalam and feels good to recite. Same goes to your Abheeti Stavam Vaartamaalai. As I am presently going through some rough patch, these slokams and those on Durga by Chitraji feel like an anchor. Thanks.

L, Kamla

3. vidhyalakshmid

vidhyalakshmid IL Hall of Fame

Thanks

Hi Vidya,
    Thanks for the verse from Sundara kaandam. My longtime wish is to chant
    SK. I am happy that through IL you can reach more than 108 people.
    Anyway thanks again.

1 person likes this.
  4. Vidya24

Vidya24 Gold IL'ite

Dear Kamla and Vidya,

Thanks for the positive response. I was a bit worried when no feed back was seen. Your mails made it better. While I can reach more than 108 persons in IL, I pray that Hanumar will enable me to reach 108 effective devotees like you who might be tempted to chant the Navasloka SundaraKAndam.

warm regards
    Vidya

1 person likes this.
  5. Vidya24

Vidya24 Gold IL'ite

VSK- Slokam 2-Moon

Hari Om!

The first stanza of the Nava sloka VSK is about encouragement. It helps one to succeed in life like Surya Bhagwan- be lustrous and leading.

Meaning: This second stanza tells us how Hanumar actually crossed the ocean braving many obstacles. The winged ,under sea mountain Mainakam challenges Hanumar and then surrenders to Him offering a place to rest. The demonic water snake Surasai and the raakshasi Saayarakhi also threaten to annihilate Hanumar. But he emerges victorious and continue His journey to Lankapuri.

This stanza tells us that in the pursuit of success, obstacles are legion. What we need is focus to attain the goal and strength to fight them. These blocks may be external or internal (stemming from our minds). But as long as we have fixity of intellect and tenacity to overcome them- success will be ours, by the Grace of God.

Navagraham- Moon, related precious stone- Pearl

Phalam- To overcome obstacles in life/in pursuit of any success

Tatparyam- The planet Moon is connected with the Mind, intellect and inner soul.The Moon bestows on us a strong mind that will propel us physically toward our tangible and intangible goals. The essence here is to achieve co-ordination of mind and action to fruitful activity.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 27, 2008
    Popsy likes this.
  6. Chitvish

Chitvish Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Hello Vidya !

You are posting a very useful link.
    I chant everyday a similar shlokam on Navagrahams, connecting Devi's navaavaranams, the 9 navaratna stones ( gems )& the chakras in our body. It is said to be one of the most powerful shlokas since it is laden with power.
    After you finish this, I shall post it in the special shlokas section.
    You are a real gem, Vidya !
    Love & regards,
    Chithra.

geevee68 and RadhikaSundaram like this.
  7. Vidya24

Vidya24 Gold IL'ite

Dear Mrs Chithra,

Thank you very much for liking the Nava sloka sundarakandam. I am very happy that you saw it and wrote to me. Needless to say, I am eagerly waiting for your slokam on navagraham and navaavaranam.

warm regards
    Vidya

2 people like this.
  8. SuBa

SuBa Senior IL'ite

you have "reached" me,Vidya!

Dear Vidya,
    You have started something good here.Althou am in total darkness about the VSK am eager to learn and chant the little gems u have posted here for our benefit.I commend u for the way u have explained all the aspects for chanting the slokam.

Thanks,
    Suba.

9. geethamani

geethamani New IL'ite

Continuation of VSK?

Dear Vidya,
    What happened to stanza 4? I am eagerly waitng
    Geetha

10. Vidya24

Vidya24 Gold IL'ite

Dear SuBa and Geetha,

Thanks for such warm response. I am posting stanza 4 now. When I end with stanza 9, I hope to post a Hanumar kolam as well. The kolam is powerful and confers good health (physical and mental) and happiness in the family.

best regards
    Vidya

geevee68 likes this.