Maargazhi Maasam (Dhanur Month) - Importance & Significance

Discussion in 'Pujas Prayers & Slokas' started by swamy24598, Dec 15, 2012.

1. swamy24598

swamy24598 New IL'ite

MONTH OF DHANUS - Significance and Importance​

The month of Marghazi starts on 16-Dec

Margazhi is the most beautiful month in the Tamilnadu. Lord Krishna says that he is the month of Margazhi from which one can imagine the beauty and sanctity of this month. Visiting temple in the early hours during the month would be auspicious, which is the tradition old followed by our people over the ages, and it has been proven scientifically that the Ozone layer will be closest to the earth during the month of Marghazi (Sanskrit name of month : Dhanus) which makes our health normal, while having breathing the fresh air in the early morning. All the temples in the month will be open in the early morning and special poojas are conducted to the deities.

During the month of Margazhi, Andal recited 30 versus of Thiruppaavai and followed the Paavai Nombu and attained Lord Mahavishnu.

Manickkavasagar, the saint, recited Thiruvempaavai on Lord Shiva. In these verses, the sait himself visualizes as a Women and sings those verses in the praise of his Lord Shiva during early hours of Margazhi.

Again all these are being followed to ensure that people get benefited by the pure oxygen early in the morning!

The eleventh day after the new moon and the full moon is called Ekadasi and we are supposed to follow the vratham of avoiding rice and eating light on these days. Even if the vratham is not observed on all Ekadasis, it is important to follow it on Vaikunta Ekadasi. Vaikunta Ekadasi is the eleventh day of the waxing moon. Ever year all temples of Mahavishnu have the beautiful ritual of “Sorgavaasal” (Heavenly Entrance) on the early morning of Vaikunta Ekadasi and the whole day is celebrated on a grand scale in these temples

Thiruvadhirai is the star of Lord Shiva and this festival is celebrated in His honour. Arudhra Darsanam is celebrated on the full moon day of Margazhi with special abhishekams to the Siva lingams on the eve of Arudra Natchatra and special alangarams and pujas on the day. The celebrations at Chidambaram are the best with special pujas to the deity Nataraja.

There is also a scientific meaning, which explains the greatness of the Margazhi month. During this month, the ozone layer will be lowered a little bit and because of this, any disease will reduce and gives a healthy body. Let us now what are the main benefits of this Margazhi month and the Thiruppaavai.

kolam1.JPG

This time of the year is very close to harvest and all kinds of native vegetables are available aplenty. Hence the offerings to Lord Shiva are KALI - a sweet made with rice and jaggery, and KOOTTU - a side dish made of all native vegetables and coconut.

Thiruvadhirai thaer (chariot) is said to be very famous and in fact many people including those in our household have the habit of decorating their front porches with kolams in the design of chariots.

LET US ENJOY THE MONTH OF DHANUS WITH HEAVENLY PRAYERS AND POOJAS.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2012
    15 people like this.

2. shashiv

shashiv Gold IL'ite

Thanks for sharing this info....
    Well narrated

Shanti

1 person likes this.
  3. swamy24598

swamy24598 New IL'ite

Thank you mrs.shanthi :)

1 person likes this.
  4. kanaka Raghavan

kanaka Raghavan IL Hall of Fame

Thanks for sharing.

1 person likes this.
  5. suganvijay

suganvijay Platinum IL'ite

I'm planning to do this daily visit to temple & Mansara Kadavula kekkaporen(Asking Whole heartedly)... That I should soon conceive & enter my motherhood .. hold my Baby in my arms... I have already asked almost every God.. & the final is Lord Shiva.. I hope atleast he will answer my prayers soon.. Thanks for the information Shared.

3 people like this.
  6. sublakshmi

sublakshmi Bronze IL'ite

Thanks a lot for sharing this .

1 person likes this.
  7. meenakshirajan

meenakshirajan Silver IL'ite

Very detailed one. Thanks for sharing, sir.

2 people like this.
  8. swamy24598

swamy24598 New IL'ite

My lord Shiva is the supreme....
    He will sure bless you with a BABY...before June-2013
    My special prayers to you Suganthi...

Regards

1 person likes this.
  9. swamy24598

swamy24598 New IL'ite

Thank you all for your FBs

Let the month be blessed for you all :)

10. hetha

hetha Bronze IL'ite

Thanks for sharing the importance of margazi month.

2 people like this.