hair removal before ob/gyn visit - need to or not ? and how ?

Discussion in 'Pregnancy & Labor' started by savannas, May 16, 2010.

1. savannas

savannas Bronze IL'ite

Hi IL,
    Although I am not yet preg, we are in TTC and I have a delicate set of questions..

1. Apart from a clean bath, does a lady need to prepare herself for ob/gyn appointment in any other ways? I understand 'need' is not the right word here.. but what I mean is.. if I were to visit a dentist, the minimum I would do is to brush my teeth beforehand, similarly would it be better if you could remove hair from legs/ feminine region etc ? ( especially if you are on the hairier side or atleast feel conscious about it..?)

2. This is kind of gross - but theres noother way I can find answers for this - please enlighten me - would it be okay to just trim around the feminine area or.. would have too remove hair completely ?

3. I have only visited professional parlors in india for knees and hands waxing.. After coming to US, I just buy wax and do it on my own, like once in 2 months or so.. (I just hate that also, because It is pretty painful but I do it because, otherwise hands look pretty bad.. my job requires that I face give talks to groups of people, so its a need to remove hair ! ) I have heard from many pregnant women on this forum that waxing is going to be pretty more painful when skin stretches and gets sensitive during pregnancy. So, mentally I have decided against waxing during that time.. however, could someone suggest other methods of hair removal.. my colleague says she shaves.. but I want to know if there are any other methods..? some one mentioned epilators here.. would you recommend that during pregnancy ?

( I am not too much for creams as I know that chemicals not good during that time..)

please help me with your suggestions as I am really dreading to face an ob/gyn even for a general pre-pregnancy physical exam for this reason alone.. I want to be presentable for my own feelings of consciousness ( maybe I have a huge ego ! what to do :( ) as well as a mark of courtesy.. but I want to know what is the general expectation and what are the safest and most convenient means to achieve the same..

waiting for your answers...
    regards
    savitha

2. gokusha

gokusha IL Hall of Fame

Hi Savannans,

Let me take the honour to answer again here.

I use to remove the hairs in private areas during annual checkups for paps smear(shave).

During pregnancy, as my gynae was male, i was very cautious shaved till3 months, then trimmed till5months, after that it was very tough for me to bend and trim it...moreover i don't want to put pressure on tummy for long time, so just left.

During c-section, they shaved the required area at the hospital itself.

Last edited: May 17, 2010
  3. mom_of_2boys

mom_of_2boys Silver IL'ite

hey savitha

I had the same set of questions 6 yrs ago .. of course before the two kids.. just relax and dont worry about any of these.. the ob gyns are least bothered about hair there.. they only need to know about whats inside. infact it is better to not do it once u are preg becoz of the sitting postures and practicalities. just feel natural and casual, and the ob gyns definitely make you feel that way. if you want you can trim but pls dont wax there.. regarding waxing during preg , again, the sitting postures can be very uncomfortable to wax and you may quickly shave and get done with ur hands /feet. the super influx of female hormones during that time usually cause lesser hair growth. and we will have tons of other things to think about - eating, eating, eating, shopping, planning etc. that we wont worry about this ..
    take care and enjoy urself.
    shyamala.

4. DevikaS

DevikaS Senior IL'ite

The OB-GYN see all types of women; they are used to not shaved / hairy ladies..

I totally shave the private areas weekly, and my legs & wax my arms..

My policy is; if you keep yourself neat/shaved/waxed & the private area trimmed for your Husband then do the same for the the GYN visit.. If you dont bother to keep the private area groomed for the the hubby then dont bother for the doctor..

When I start to get uncomfortable to bend and do it myself in later pregnancy (trim the private area) I have asked my husband to help me.. :thumbsup

I dont like to use things like veet/ nair because of the chemical.. you can continue to wax if you already do (it wont hurt more)

5. barbies

barbies Senior IL'ite

I watched the Doctors Show yesterday & coincidence or not this Ques CAME UP.

The doctors say its more hygienic to keep it shaved or atleast trimmed. BUT be careful how u do it cos its very careful not to use stuff that causes in grown hairs and infection from over using same razors.

6. nayidulhan

nayidulhan Silver IL'ite

How do you trim the hair? With scissors? The way hair on the head is clipped/ cut? I think trimming would be the safest as well as the least painful method as complete shaving or waxing leaves the area looking puffed and feeling vulnerable.

7. Cindhuja

Cindhuja Gold IL'ite

Hi nayidulhan,

yes you are right..but the effort for trimming is enormous compared to shaving :hide: so i often opt for shaving and at times for trimming..

Itz always better to trim/shave in frequent intervals depending on the growth..irrespective of an appointment with the gynec..

8. mridusudha

mridusudha Silver IL'ite

To share or not to shave is your option. Gynics don't bother much.

I would be very careful with shaving with a razor. Because if you get a cut there are chances you will end up with a bacterial infection which will require antibiotics. I always used to shave with a razor but one time before I got pregnant, I ended up with a bacterial infection which kept coming back even after taking antibiotics. I had to take antibiotics for almost 6 months for the infection to go away.

That time my doc recommended to use creams instead. He suggested 'Veet' and ever since I have been using that.

I checked with my Gynic about using veet she said there is no harm as you apply only little amount of cream and wash it off. Infact even she agreed it is safer than using a razor.

During pregnancy, I had lot of hair growth at all places. On my head, underarms and vaginal area. And when you are pregnant you go to the bathroom 15-20 times a day so I preferred to keep the vaginal area clean and dry. So I used the cream once every 3 weeks.

So its all a matter of preference.