Good source of protein?

Discussion in 'Pregnancy & Labor' started by Shamala, Apr 18, 2007.

1. Shamala

Shamala New IL'ite

Hi,
    I feel that I am not getting enough protein in my diet. So I would like to know all the possible option for good source of protein to include in my diet? I am 31 weeks pregnant and a vegetarian. Thanks.

2. cheer

cheer Silver IL'ite

Eat Soyabean, soyabean is a best source of protein even better then fish. I'm veggie too & we use to eat soyabean every other week & U're pregnant drink soya milk too.

All the best

3. puni88

puni88 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Hello,
    YOu get enough proteins with dal and lenthils apart from what others have mentioned .
    During pregnancy don't try any artificial food.

Take care,
    Punitha

4. happyreading

happyreading New IL'ite

The following food items are good sources of protein as well as vegetarian. Consult with your gynec before taking any new nutrition or food since you are pregnant.

Nuts -almonds, peanuts and walnuts.
    Whey protein - good source of protein and tastes good.
    Tofu
    Paneer
    Cheese - string cheese, easy to eat

Thanks,
    Happy reading

5. Sumaticg

Sumaticg Senior IL'ite

Dear Friends

I wish to bring to to all ur notice that high intake of soyabean may end dangerous to women health , I dont know how far it is true but it really alarms, i saw cheer mentioning soya milk and other soya related stuffs as good source of protien. In my opinion Dhals and lentils are the best source

6. cheer

cheer Silver IL'ite

Sumati,

There is nothing wrong to consume soya for daily basis/every month, although excess of anything is not good. But If ure veggie u can't get protein from lots of resources, so soya is a good source of protein, take it in less amt.

7. puni88

puni88 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Hello,
    Hypothyroid people should avoid SOY products. Soy will increase the problem and it reacts with the medication as well.

Thanks,
    Punitha

8. kavithasmenon

kavithasmenon New IL'ite

Soy is a good source of something called phyto oestrogens. Everyone would realise oetsrogen is a compound which is similar in action to one of the two female hormones - oestrogen and progesterone.
    As nature has designed a delicate balance between these two hormones during the course of pregnancy, I suspect inclusion of phytooestrogens in the diet may in fact mess up the balance and hence may b best to avoid the same. Also, I have read that consumption of soy is not advised for ppl suffering from thyroid disorders.
    This is based on what I have read from various sources.

9. srishass

srishass New IL'ite

Hi,

Intake of protein will not add weight to your body.
    Protein plays a leading role in your body's growth and maintenance. Because your body does not store excess protein, daily intake is necessary. Unfortunately, many protein sources – such as red meat, cheese, eggs and whole milk – also have high levels of fat and cholesterol.
    NUTRILITE Protein Powder provides a natural, lean protein with the added benefits of naturally occurring Organic soy isoflavones. It also provides balanced amounts of the essential and non-essential amino acids. Out of 10g of serving, 8g of protein is available in Nutrilite Protein Powder and the absorption of intake protein is of good ratio.
    Rest any protein in the market available donot have the protein content of 10 : 8.

Pregnant and lactating women can invariably intake SOY Protein and since the absorption level of protein is more, I had suggested above Nutrilite protein.

Thanks
    Shanthi