what is your exercise routine?

Discussion in 'Pregnancy & Labor' started by loonypooh, Feb 22, 2009.

1. loonypooh

loonypooh Silver IL'ite

all you preggie moms, please share your exercise routines :)

mine is 30 minutes of walking on the treadmill , monitoring my heart beat to not pound beyond 100

30 counts of kegel exercise

2 hours in the kitchen and ofcourse other tiny household works.. plus few hours in office.

plus i have a few exercise books for pregnancy, and will try start few simple ones as soon as i feel better.

since i am in my first trimester, feel little tired and dizzy, but planning to reach a minimum of one hour walk a day throughout my pregnancy

Last edited: Feb 22, 2009

2. nirmiti27

nirmiti27 New IL'ite

Hi Loony Pooh,

I am taking anatalcare at my Hospital for getting much healthy...I am overweight 210lbs(96kgs)..and have GD from 4weeks of pregnancy..so
    they asked me to maintain my diet & excersise as follows

morning after brush,

1 cup warm milk,2 slice of wholemeal bread and 1 slice cheese and 1 fruit(best if u can have medium size apple or orange)..also instead of 2 slice of bread u can have 2 iddli or 5 mini iddli with small bowl of sambhar or 1 plain dosa or 2 small chappati or 3-4 whole wheat crackers

mid morning snack
    1 cup milk , 1 slice of bread ,1/2 cheese slice or 1 tbs peanut butter

lunch
    2 bowl of veggetables 1 medium bowl of rice or 2 chappati or 2 dosa or 4 idlli,1 fruit with lunch(helps to absorb all vitamins and protien in ur lunch)

1/2 hr brisk walk..slowly increase to 1 hr

mid afternoon sncak
    same as mid morning snack

dinner
    same as lunch
    1/2 hr walk

supper
    1 cup warm milk, 3 crakers or 1 slice bread with cheese or peanut butter.

walk is compulsory and try to increase it every week.

I hope this helps
    Nirmiti

1 person likes this.
  3. suhaana

suhaana Senior IL'ite

Hi mine is 30 mins walk and 15 minutes pranayama.

Breakfast is fruits

morning snack - tea, buiscuit and fruit

Lunch - subzi, roti, curd

evening snack - milk, fruits

Dinner - dal , subzi, curd

I just discuvered that I'm pregnant and I'm enjoying every moment of it!!! :cool2:

4. lee50

lee50 Silver IL'ite

Hi Poonam,

Your exercise routine is good enough.

I walk for half an hour daily and yet to start pranayam. I am trying to increase the walk to 1 hour but I am in the eight month and get exhausted by the time I reach home and finish my household chores. I also do a little bit of walking around the office.

I have been told by my colleagues that pranayam helps to control your breathing for the delivery and the kegel exercises helps to push the baby faster.

All the best.

Regards,
    Lynette

Last edited: Apr 17, 2009
  5. PeeVee

PeeVee Senior IL'ite

I also do 30mins walk or make sure that i walk at least 2 miles (about 3.2km). i am on my 25th week now. As poonam said, i was very tired in the first trimester and from the 4th month doing it almost regularly. Poonam, second trimester is the best one, except for having a belly, i feel very energetic! but i dont find much extra time for walking.

my routine and diet is like

morning get up around 5.45-6

after brushing about 8 ounce water

5.45-6.45 kitchen..preparing lunch.

6.45-7--bath and just show my face on prayer room
    7-7.10 one full cup of oats.( is it ok not to eat anything from 5.45 to around 7), 9 badams soaked and 6-8 raisins
    7.15 -7.30 to office
    around 8.30-9 3 chapathis
    9-11.30 biscuits or walnuts or something else
    keep drinking water in between and 8 ounce orange juice
    11.30 a medium size apple
    finish 1 liter water before 12
    12-12.15 lunch (rice, one curry like sambar and one vegetable mostly carrot, spinach, broccoli or beet root, buttermilk)
    2-2.30 2-3 crackers
    3.30 one banana
    4.0 a cup of coffee :coffee(recetly started..i cant resist the smell of coffee in office kitchen)
    finish another one liter of water
    4.30- 5.0 back to home
    5.0-6.15 cleaning utensils, making chapathi for night and morning breakfast
    5.30 drink a cup of milk or buttermilk
    6.15-7.0 walking ( now a days i feel a kind of muscle pain on the lower half of my leg and that slows down my walk and i will stop in between for 5mins and resume)
    7-7.30 back home, take some rest and wash myself
    7.30-8.15 prayer
    8.15-8.30 cutting vegetables for next day lunch.
    8.30-8.45 dinner 4-5 chapathis, 3-4 spoons of butter milk
    drink at least 2.5litres of water a day
    9.15 one cup milk
    9.30 its bedtime..

sorry poonam..you asked only for an execise routine..but this a much detailed routine..

6. arthidiva

arthidiva Silver IL'ite

Hi Poonam, I think your exercise routine is good enough.. inspite of exercisign, you are doing household chores too.. that is good enough for the 1st trimester. You should be able to do 1 hr of walking (not too fast in treadmill).

Dont force yourself to work out more, as far as you are NOT tired, you can! but if you are tired, pls stop right there! do the rest of the counts later in the day when you have the energy.

Doing yoga meant for pregnant women will be relaxing at the same time streches your body too.. Do try that.

Relax yourself!

7. arthidiva

arthidiva Silver IL'ite

The below info is taken form the internet. While I was pregnant, I was advised of these exercises and I did follow the squats quite a lot from my 7th month - that helps the pelvic bones expand (making it easier for delivery).. some ladies did have trouoble following these exercises - they had sever body ache, cramps here and there.

It will be good if you follow the butterfly pose anytime you sit at home.. like watching TV or reading books.. sit in that pose, it is very relaxing. Do this after your 1st trimester.

So I suggest, you ask your doc before starting any new exercise & Do stop when you feel tired or find it painful / tough. Happy Pregnancy!

chk these out..

Tips for a safe workout

and...

[FONT=Arial,Helvetica][SIZE=+2]Yoga During Pregnancy[/SIZE][/FONT]

[SIZE=-1]Here are some asanas that you should do when pregnant, for a healthy pregnancy and safe delivery.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=-1]Padmasana [/SIZE]

[SIZE=-1]Butterfly Pose or Titali Asana [/SIZE]

[SIZE=-1][​IMG] This asana opens up your hips and inner thighs, and removes tension from the inner thigh area. In addition, it stretches your knees and groin area. It is one of the most beneficial pregnancy poses and if done consistenly right from the first trimester, it will almost certainly ease childbirth to a great extent. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=-1][​IMG] Sit on a mat with your legs stretched out in front. Holding your ankles, pull both legs as close inwards as you can, so your heels touch your pelic area. Gradually, push your knees down outwards. You can push your knees down using your elbows if you like, because you will still be clasping your ankles with your plams. Ideally, your knees should touch the mat, but you will not be able to do this unless you have enough practice. Bounce your knees up and down around 15 to 20 times, pushing them as far down as possible, as is comfortable. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=-1]You can prepare for this asana one leg at a time, working on loosening inner thigh muslces first. Stretch your right leg straight out, and bend the other leg so the ankle of the left leg is on the right leg's thigh. Hold the ankle with one arm, and with the other arm push the knee of the left leg down, until it touches the mat. Then, lift it up and push it down again. Be slow and gentle, and do not strain or you may tear a ligament. Repeat this up-down movement 15 to 20 times for each leg. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=-1]Squats or Utthanasan [/SIZE]

[SIZE=-1]Keep your feet around three feet apart, with both heels facing inwards and toes facing outwards. Interlock your fingers, and let your hands hang down in front of you. Gradually squat, lowering your buttocks. Keep your feet flat on the floor. Do not raise the heels. Stay down for a few seconds, and stand up again. Repeat around 15 to 20 times. 28-year-old Madhuri did 50 such squats every single day during her first pregnancy, with the result that she had just a 3 hour labour and an incredibly easy delivery. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=-1]This is similar to the position adopted by housecleaners when they sweep the floor, which is why sweeping floors is actually excellent exercise. [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=-1]Cat Stretch Pose or Marjari Aasana [/SIZE]

[SIZE=-1][​IMG] Start this aasan with the Vajrasana pose, where you sit with your buttocks on your heels. Raise your buttocks off your heels and bend forward, leaning on your palms. You are now on all fours. Move your feet slightly to the sides, so they are around a foot or shoulder width apart. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=-1][​IMG] Now that you are on all fours, inhale, raising your head and pushing down the arch of your back. Your back is now concave. Then, inhale, and roll your head down between your arms, pushing your back upwards. After exhaling, contract your stomach by pulling the navel up towards the spine. Pull in your buttocks as well. This is one round. Repeat this six times. This aasan strengthens your neck, shoulders and spine, which is why it is also very good for the posture. In addition, it tones up the entire reproductive system, and is very beneficial for women before, during and after pregnancy. [/SIZE]

Last edited: Apr 20, 2009
  8. suhaana

suhaana Senior IL'ite

Hi I'm in my first trimester....have been told to do only light walks and only pranayama....what all exercises are safe in the first trimester??

9. nimmimoorthy

nimmimoorthy Platinum IL'ite

exercise during pregnancy

Dear All,
    Iam preparing to get pregnant. This is my second pregancy. So please let me know about some exercices to be done during pregnancy.

10. nimmimoorthy

nimmimoorthy Platinum IL'ite

Re: exercise during pregnancy

may i know why no one is replying?:hide: is this topic already discussed if yes, please give me the thread link.