Are grape leaves safe during pregnancy?

Discussion in 'Pregnancy & Labor' started by vedhitha20, Apr 21, 2008.

1. vedhitha20

vedhitha20 New IL'ite

Hi Everybody!!

I am Niveditha.I live in Michigan.I am now 7 months pregnant...Like everybody else i too crave for a variety of foods...As a result of this craving...my husband took me to a Mediterranean restaurant..La Pita...the food was good indeed..but...they served a dish called Grape leaves..where you have rice and veggies rolled into the grape leaves..it was very sour..and i relished it..but i just have one question...Are the grape leaves safe during pregnancy?Can anybody clear my doubts?I am really worried..It would be really nice if anyone could clear these things for me..

2. Vandhana

Vandhana Silver IL'ite

Hello Niveditha,

Welcome to IL. Grape leaves are very nutritious. They are safe to eat during pregnancy. A good source of a good many vitamins and minerals, very low in cals and carbs and high in fiber. So eat away all you want dear. Just make sure that the dish is steamed rather than fried.

Vandhana

3. vedhitha20

vedhitha20 New IL'ite

Thank you Vandhana..i feel a lot relieved after reading your reply.
    Thanks once again.

4. Lavanya

Lavanya Bronze IL'ite

Hi Niveditha... I have a question out of curiosity for you - what is that dish called? May be I could find it some where near my place too...

-L.

5. Vandhana

Vandhana Silver IL'ite

Hi Lavanya,

The dish is called Dolmades or Dolmadakia( stuffed grape leaves). Make sure to ask for a vegetarian version if you do not eat meat. The traditional way of making this uses meat in the recipe.

Vandhana

6. Happysoul1234

Happysoul1234 Gold IL'ite

I love Dolmas too! They are basically grape leaves that have been marinated/preserved stuffed with rice. Sour, tangy and slightly crunchy on the outside ... yummmn!

7. desiprincess

desiprincess Senior IL'ite

oh... I love the grape leaves... really tasty and the non-veg ones are good too... yum..

8. Lavanya

Lavanya Bronze IL'ite

Thanks Vandhana... next I have to look for some Mediterranean restaurant in our city.

-L.

9. Traveller

Traveller Gold IL'ite

Me too love these little khatta-meeta leaves... perfect that too when one is pregnant:drool I remember asking the same question at the Lebanese place where we regularly ate in my first trimester (all in the name of cravings) and they said it was fine. Enjoy! Latha