Gestational diabetics : 24 weeks pregnant

Discussion in 'Pregnancy & Labor' started by Rachna, Jul 4, 2012.

1. Rachna

Rachna Gold IL'ite

Hi Ils

i am 24 weeks pregnant and have high sugar in my Glucose test.I came across several threads on ILs on that. I have one confusion.Pls help me. There are contradictory opinions on daal, carrot and tender coconut water. Can i have them?

2. kylie

kylie Gold IL'ite

dear Rachna,

I too had G.diabetes during both my pregnancies. My gynaec gave a diet plan for me to follow. I used to have dal. Oil intake should be minimum. All whites and yellows are to be avoided for eg. white bread, maida products, rice n rice products, mangoes, pineapples, pumpkins etc. All underground vegetables [except radish] like carrot, beetroot, potatoes, yam etc to be avoided. I could not take coconut water. No sugar in tea, coffee. No fruit juices. I survived on salads, greens, dal, cornflakes, soups n steamed fish. Had 8-10 glasses of water each day.

It would be good if you ask your gynaec regarding your diet. Its best to stick to a strict diet plan so that the sugars dont fluctuate much. Also try to keep stress to a minimum bcoz despite the best diet plan, your sugars can zoom if you are under stress. Its important to do moderate exercises during this period [consult yr doctor - you should avoid if you have high BP]. deep breathing exercises n meditation really help.

So please dont worry - just talk to your gynaec and go with her advice.

Take care sweetie,
    kylie

1 person likes this.
  3. Keerti16

Keerti16 Silver IL'ite

Dear Rachna

I had gd during my preg just last year. Now my dd is 10 months old. I believe everyone is diff and it is imp to know what food gives low blood sugar value for u. By trial n error I had formed a balanced meal plan. I used have carrots and moong dal. If you take non veg then it will be easier but f u are vegetarian like me then it's a bit more difficult. By rule it is good to imclude some protein in every meal and walk 30 min after every meal.

Hope u hv a good preg
    Cheers

1 person likes this.
  4. cj1980

cj1980 Gold IL'ite

I have to agree that it is different for each individual...I was diagnosed with GD a couple of weeks ago (am 33 weeks now) and I am still experimenting a bit...I have basmati rice instead of the usual ponni boiled rice. I had potato yesterday and today and my BS was well within the normal range. The trick is to control the PORTION and not just avoid everything. Again, it depends on how high your sugar levels are...mine was borderline high and not in the 200s or something. I find chappathi increases my BS...so I stick to whole wheat tortillas to satiate my 'roti' cravings :) Dosas and idlis shoot my BS...so if at all I eat them, I have to limit them to 2 or so....I eat watermelon, weightwatchers low fat ice cream sandwich (!!), use Equal (artificial sweetener) in my morning coffee, instant oatmeal, ragi porridge, cornflakes, etc. I treat myself to one or two sugar-free vanilla wafers...as you can see, I have a sweet tooth :)

The point is, there cannot be a blanket "you cannot eat this" instruction for everything...certain things work and some food items don't. You need to experiment and monitor your blood sugar to find out which ones to avoid. Good luck!

1 person likes this.
  5. Rachna

Rachna Gold IL'ite

Ladies,

mine is 166 after 1 hr of 50gm glucose. i saw range of (100-140) in my report . is my level too much? Doctor has prescribed me diet plan and compulsory 15 min. walk after food.Next month, i have to repeat the test.if it is found high, i will be prescribed insulin.Is it something of great concern?Pls advice

How can i check my levels at home?

6. kylie

kylie Gold IL'ite

dear Rachna,

For a normal person 166 after 1 hr is not too high but during pregnancy doctors dont want too much of fluctuations. Even I was recommended to walk after meals - i used to walk for 30 mins after each meal. Walking helps a lot. For my first pregnancy, since i developed gd after the 2nd trimester, my gynae put me on insulin for the final trimester. It stabilised my sugar levels n I had a normal delivery.

For the second time, since I was already aware of gd, i continued with diet restrictions and this time my sugars didnt fluctuate much. So there was no need for insulin.

You can check your sugar levels at home with Accucheck or other sugar monitoring kits available in the market/chemists. These kits come between the price range of 2000-3000 bucks. Have your meals on time n monitor your sugar levels on a daily basis. This will also help you figure out which foods increase the sugars in your body. At the same time, I would also suggest that you buy a BP monitoring kit - the digital ones. This will help you keep a check on your blood pressure levels also which tend to rise in the 2nd/3rd trimesters.

You can keep a check on gd by following a strict diet plan, moderate exercises, monitoring your sugar levels n following your doctor's advice.

Take care dear.

love,
    kylie

1 person likes this.
  7. Rachna

Rachna Gold IL'ite

thanks a lot Kylie, Keerti and Cj1980 for your replies. I have read somewhere that if we have GD during pregnancy, it is likely to occur when we are in 40-50s. I am really scared to think of it. it means-we need to follow regular exercise and diet plan even after pregnancy

8. pamrang

pamrang Senior IL'ite

Rachna,

Don't stress too much about the possibility of Diabestes later in life, right now. I too have GD. The key (at least for me) is to control portion size, drink a lot of water and walk for about 20 -30 mins after meal. I split my meal into two and have 2 lunches and 2 dinners. This helps me a lot. I had similar numbers to yours. But, with this plan, I am able to control my sugar level more or less.

Good luck to you too!

9. cj1980

cj1980 Gold IL'ite

Rachna, don't worry about getting diabetes later in life. There is no rule that says if you have GD now, you will become diabetic later. It is just a possibility. Follow the diet guidelines and exercise regimen and don't over do it. You don't have to walk 1.5 hours a day! Just 15 mins after each meal (especially lunch and dinner) is more than enough. Eat healthy, try to be active and get back to your pre-pregnancy weight within 8-12 months after delivery.

10. Rachna

Rachna Gold IL'ite

Hi all

I am confused with contradictory opinions everywhere on nuts (almond, cashew, peanut, walnut) and radish during Gestational Diabetics..pls advice. Can i have them ( my sugar level high, 26 weeks pregnant). Please let me know about pumpkin also