Blood pressure and Pulse rate during pregnancy

Discussion in 'Pregnancy & Labor' started by Rachna, Jun 13, 2012.

1. Rachna

Rachna Gold IL'ite

Dear ILs

Please tell me how much blood pressure and pulse rate is considered to be normal during pregnancy?
    Reply from any doctor, nurse or childbirth educator would be highly appreciated.Other experienced ladies are also welcome.

2. SuccessMinded

SuccessMinded Gold IL'ite

As far as I know, blood pressure range is same as for non-pregnant people - 120/80. I have my BP checked in every visit and it usually falls in this range.
    Pulse rate, I am not sure.

3. drmsg

drmsg New IL'ite

Blood pressure can vary greatly. It is very unusual for blood pressure to be too low unless there is dehydration or low blood sugar. Drink lots of fluids and eat small amounts often. Blood pressure is too high when the upper number is above 150 or if the lower number is above 90.

Pulse tends to go up in pregnancy so that it is not unusual for a resting pulse to be in the upper 80's when pregnant. The pulse will go up with exercise which is normal and safe. Some women will experience short periods of time when the resting pulse will go up. If the pulse is over 120 at rest that may be reason for concern and medical help should be obtained.

4. vvvvvv

vvvvvv Silver IL'ite

My BP used to be 110-123/65-75 during pregnancy. My doctor said it is normal.

5. Chandrika82

Chandrika82 Silver IL'ite

Anything above 140 and 90 is considered high. During the later stages of pregnancy, some women will have elevated blood pressure. Very high BP is indication of pre-eclampsia

6. Rachna

Rachna Gold IL'ite

today i found my b.p 130/75(130 being high). i have checked it at home. Do i need to consult my doctor? what precautions can i take on my side?