Dental problems during Pregnancy ?

Discussion in 'Pregnancy & Labor' started by Haasini, Aug 16, 2007.

1. Haasini

Haasini New IL'ite

Hi IL,
    I'm 13 weeks pregnant. I have cavities and I'm not able to eat anything.
    One of doctor in India told me that dental problems are usually treated only during 3rd month to 6th month. Is it true ?
    I'm not able to tolerate the pain. I'm planning to take dental insurance. Do dentists treat during prgnancy ? Please share ur experiance....

Thanks.

2. vshetty

vshetty New IL'ite

hii..
    i am a dentist myself so i guess i can give u a professional reply !
    yes it is true that dental treatment is not rendered in the first and last trimesters of pregnancy. but if the cavity is hurting very badly then under extra precautions with consent from your gynaecologist treatment can be given... actually it all depends on your cavity depth and a few other factors..
    i hope that answers your question...

3. Haasini

Haasini New IL'ite

Thanks for your reply Shetty.
    My cavity is hurting very badly. Yesterday I spoke to doctor, he told me its better to go for treatment because sometimes any dental problems may lead to premature birth . Is it so ?

Thanks.

4. vshetty

vshetty New IL'ite

hi again.
    yes it is true. i think if u are in pain its better to go for treatment .... good luck. be sure to check with your gynaecologist.

5. titli

titli New IL'ite

tooth ache during pregnancy

hi all,
    i am in my 8th month now..nowadays i am having mild tooth ache..it will be there for sometime n will go later...
    has anybody suffered this problem? pls let me know what can i do for this..

n one more question? does stretch mark appear during pregnancy or post pregnancy?

thanks in advance
    titli

6. malarvp

malarvp New IL'ite

Re: tooth ache during pregnancy

Hi titli,

I have read in internet that tooth aches are common during pregnancy. But I'm not very sure about this. Check with your gynec and ensure whether u can go to the dentist. if the pain is too high, its better u visit the dentist with gynecs advise.

for stretch marks, it appears post pregnancy. it's bcoz the muscles in various parts of your body expand during pregnancy and after delivery they contract and thats the reason stretch marks appear. applying olive oil from start of 4th month to stomach, thighs and breasts will help in not getting the stretch marks. you have to apply the oil and leave for an hr. I applied from the 4th month until delivery and i don't hv any marks.

Cheers,
    Malar

7. Lavanya

Lavanya Bronze IL'ite

With regard to toothaches, you could be losing calcium to your baby, which is very common. Inorder to evaluate the extent of damage you may need to visit your dentist. If it is just loss of enamel and beginning signs of decay they may prefer to leave it alone until after delivery. But most important is that you make sure you are getting enough dietary calcium everyday to reduce the progression of any calcium deficiency. You need 4-5 servings of milk/milk products per day. Try not to take too much of foods that bind calcium when you are consuming your major calcium rich food... for eg. try to drink plain milk instead of milk with coffee or hot chocolate. Hope this helps.

-L.

8. momtobe

momtobe New IL'ite

I am also in my eighth month and suffering from toothache. It was due to the cavity in my teeth. I asked my OB if i can get the filling done and she gave me a go ahead as the baby's development has already taken place and there is no need to worry...so yesterday i got the filling done and feeling much more comfortable today. :)

9. Vnbaby

Vnbaby Senior IL'ite

Help!!! Wisdom toothache during pregnancy!!

Hi Friends!!

I am in my 18th week of pregnancy and around 3 days back I started feeling slight wisdom toothache but from yesterday its just unbearable.

This tooth of mine is erupting since 5 years but never have been so painful but now I am just unable to bear its pain. I have tried all home remedies which are known to me like applying fresh made clove powder(I dont have clove oil), applying saline(salted) water, putting piece of ice....but everything relieves pain for a while only Witsend.

Can anybody know any other home remedy pls tell me I really need it or suggest me what should I do? Should I see a dentist but as much I know (believe me I have a good experience with dentist as I have visited them I dont remember for how many times before marriage and when I was a kid because I have a sweet tooth) dentist would do nothing as I am pregnant, except giving me some pain relievers.

Help me....... Help me PLEASE!!:help

V n baby

10. daksh

daksh Silver IL'ite

Re: Help!!! Wisdom toothache during pregnancy!!

hi , u can apply ORAGEL its a local anesthetic, n my obg dr. said its safe during pregnancy. but do check with ur OBG b4 going for any medication. i had dental caries when i was pregnant. they gave me antibiotic, oragel ointment, n i even had ROOT CANAL TREATMENT. call ur obg n see a dentist.
    get well soon, good luck with ur pregnancy.