Sugar levels 168

Discussion in 'Pregnancy & Labor' started by lostinthisworld, May 28, 2010.

1. lostinthisworld

lostinthisworld New IL'ite

Hello ladies

I am almost 23 weeks pregnant and I've been diagnosed with gestational diabetese. I am trying to control my values through excercise and diet and mostly my values are under control.

I had Mac & cheese for lunch today and when I tested my levels after 2 hours they were 168.:shock:..

I am mad at myself now.. I dont know why I ate it with out checkin the labels..

My question is

Should I be concerned If my values shoot up once in a while?
    What can I do if my values are this much high after a particular meal? Can I do anything to lower it down??

I appreciate your responses.. Please reply to this post
    Thankyou all

2. sabarimathi

sabarimathi Gold IL'ite

hi,

could u pls post the normal level indicated on y'r blood test report? If not also, since u've gestational diabetes, u sh'd avoid refined foods. Even in fruits, u must avoid fruits with high sugar level.

3. lostinthisworld

lostinthisworld New IL'ite

2 Hours after meal.. Sugar level should be less than 120. Mine was 168 after lunch. I do limit my sugar levels. And mosty they are in range..
    I had no Idea Mac & cheese is all carbs so I ate it.

4. Happysoul1234

Happysoul1234 Gold IL'ite

yep GD is tough ..

mac n cheese is mostly carbs since it is a pasta product.

you have to ensure more protein is eaten at each meal than carbs. and be diligent abt keeping your sugars in control or you will compromise the health of your child

you should aim to eat more protein than carbs and walk for 15 minutes after each meal, minimum. if you eat more carbs, increase the walking. 15 minutes should generally lower the sugar by 20-40 points.

if sugars are still out of whack, cut down on carbs and ask doc for a pill called glyburide. it's the only thing that helped me eat when I had gd.

5. satin

satin Silver IL'ite

In India they check for suagr level after one hour after meal and the value should be less than 140 it seems,mine was 163 after one hour and I was diagnosed with GD and was asked to control it but with walking and only chapathi diet it was not reeducing,infact the first week after diet and walking my values were good like 120 after one hour,but as pregnancy progressed it again increased to 160,180 after one hour and i was clueless,my doctor explained it though,so I was on insulin and I had high BP too but had a normal delivery with healthy baby,so dont worry if your values shoot up once in a while,just continue your diet and exercise.Good luck!

6. livingitup24

livingitup24 New IL'ite

Hi,
    I think with sugar levels of 168 (even if it is once in a while) you should be a little worried. I think your doctor should put you on insulin else as the pregnancy progresses it might only get worse. The issue with GT is that it affects the baby and post delivery you may also develop Type 2 Diabeties. I would suggest you check with your doctor if you should be taking 2 units of insulin (which is minimum dosage) to keep your sugar levels in check. Also, as a warning, never ever take Metfomin (tablets to control GT) as they can harm your baby.

Keep us posted on what your doc suggested!!

7. lochu

lochu Gold IL'ite

once in a while values shooting up is OK .Don't worry too much .