36 weeks and 1 cm dilated - few questions!!!

Discussion in 'Pregnancy & Labor' started by Raindrop, May 4, 2010.

1. Raindrop

Raindrop Bronze IL'ite

Hey Girls,

I will complete 36 weeks within 2 days time and im a second time mom! I had a normal vaginal birth last delivery.

Yesterday i had a CTG and it showed i had contractions / pain which i have not felt much. I have had a heavy feeling down my abdomen since a week when i walk briskly and get up after sitting for long and uncomfortable when i turn sides during sleep due to heavy feeling which i think is quite commom during the 9th month.

After CTG i was done an internal exam by the doc and she said i was 1 cm dilated and my cervix is soft. I can expect my delivery anytime and asked me to go for another CTG today. Now few questions pondering me are as follows :spin:

1. Do i need to expect delivery anytime for the reason that im 1 cm dilated?

2. Will it be safe for my baby if i deliver in 36 weeks?

3. Are there chances for me to go along for another 1 or 2 weeks more? So that my Baby will be full term at 37 weeks completion. Has anybody experienced the same?

Im all tensed now just praying my baby must be safe and i face no complications during delivery. My mom will be here with me on the 14th of this month and hope my baby waits until then as she is also very tensed after hearing me tell this.

Girls pls pour in your experiences and suggestions and pray for me and my LO! Even though i cant wait to have HER / HIM in my hands i wish She/ He completes full term and comes out healthy and safe!

2. Priesh

Priesh Platinum IL'ite

Hi Raindrop,
    Really dont know about that. But my prayers are for you and your LO.

3. MiaSen

MiaSen Senior IL'ite

Dear Raindrop,
    I dnt have answers to most of ur queries - but my gyn always used to tell me tat 36 weeks is a good time for the baby to come out (I was induced once i completed 36 weeks and 4days as i had PIH).
    Also i've heard that the delivery will be lil early for the second ones as ur body is used to one before... seen this happen in most of the normal delivery cases in my relatives...
    Dnt get confused and strain urself, everything will go well :)
    will keep u in my prayers...
    Take care...

4. lavii

lavii Gold IL'ite

sharmila
    sorry have no answer to the questions but dont worry baby will wait for his/her granny to come and i am sure baby will born full term healthy and cute..
    you and your little one is in my prayers
    all the best and take care

5. pratibha1616

pratibha1616 Senior IL'ite

Hi Raindrop,
    All the very best and sorry I don't have any idea about your Q as I am first time Mommie...but our prayers are with you and with your LO. Once again All THE BEST :thumbsup

6. Kootagirl

Kootagirl Silver IL'ite

Raindrop....
    I have no experience regarding this... but still I can pray for u and ur baby. Take care dear.

7. winvalli

winvalli New IL'ite

Hi RainDraop,

Let me congratulate you for the second time mother. And All the best for the delevary exam.

Let me tell you one thing I dont have exact answers to your questions but if you think logically you will find answers by your self.
    First we will consider if it is having any problem doctor would have caution you then it self ...... do you believe that doctor or not ?

If you believe that doctor just believe her as god and believe on god nothing is going to happen to your baby.

According to my knowledge , since my sister got C'Section operation last month and she also had in 36 weeks only. The baby is healthy and every thing is fine.

So don't keep any doubts in your mind and just pray god for the happy delivery and happy baby.

Think positively and be strong you will have a healthy baby.

All the best.

Best Regards,
    V.Nagavalli

8. swaran

swaran IL Hall of Fame

Hi RainDrop

Congradulations Dear!!!!!!

As everybody here have posted,i too dont have a very perfec answer....
    I faced similar experience as urs...As soon i completed 36 weeks...my Gyna told the my cervix is soft and i can expect the baby any time...my doc said its fine

but i delivery was after 40 weeks..

so plz dont panic...everythin will be fine..

My prayers and ur and ur little darling

Last edited: May 4, 2010
  9. Gauri03

Gauri03 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

You don't need to worry. Since you are a second time mom, your cervix has started dilating early. This is very common with second time mothers. For first time moms effacement (softening of the cervix) happens before dilation so they dilate closer to the onset of labor. This is absolutely normal. Since you are already 36 weeks, one more week and your baby will be considered full term. So don't worry. Just because you are 1cm dilated does not mean that you will have an early delivery.

10. Priya_Mommy

Priya_Mommy Gold IL'ite

hello raindrop,
    Congratulations on your pregnancy. Coming to your queries -
    1.Most woman remain 1 cm. dilated for the last month or so of their pregnancy. And early dialation is common for second pregnancies.
    Next two weeks, you should be alert.
    2.Anytime between 36-40 weeks can be considered as a fullterm pregnancy. So, the baby has moved completely and the head has shifted towards the lower part and is resting in the bowl of your pelvic bones. You might be feeling the pressure of the long wait now.
    3. As I told you 1Cm dialation is common in last month. So, you may not enter delivery phase at this point, but be careful and take complete rest for another week.