Buying clothes before delivery!!

Discussion in 'Pregnancy & Labor' started by Neets8, May 2, 2010.

1. Neets8

Neets8 Junior IL'ite

I thought I would buy my kids clothes before delivery, and because my family is going to Canada and UK before the birth, I thought they would get me the clothes I want for my baby!

But I dont know whether its an old myth or what, they say you should buy clothes before the birth!!!! My MIL says its something that the women used to say in the olden times???

Whats the reason that you shouldn't buy clothes before?

Im stuck now, cause i wanted to get some clothes before hand, clothes that I like and have chosen!!! :(

Oh just for reference, Im currently living in India, so my delivery will be here too!

Last edited: May 2, 2010

2. rosenav

rosenav Silver IL'ite

Well I started shopping when i was in my 7th month for the baby essentials, coz we get big in last two mnts and makes it really difficult. I bought just couple of baby body suits as we dnt the real size of the baby ..sometimes they are small or big, So instead of clothes may be you can get other stuff like .. Playpack...bouncer...bottle warmers etc... you can get them cheaper abroad that India.

I dnt think they is any harm in shopping before, we have lods of old wife tales, but its upto you what you want, you should go ahead they is no harm.

3. ShilpaMa

ShilpaMa IL Hall of Fame

In their times the clothes available were seldom baby friendly.. eg: in terms of soft spun knitted fabrics thats are available now.

A baby skin is very very declicate and it cant bear the starch/ colour of the new cloth of those days.. hence they preferred to put used clothes or simply wrap the baby in mulmul fabric of old washed sarees.

These days there's a new section called infant clothing which takes care of best & delicate infant wears that shall suit a baby comfort and hence can be used. The way its successful proves that many new mommies have got over with the myth.

Dont worry even if you dont say grandparents can never keep their hands off baby list shopping :thumbsup... its a all in your belief, I would say get rid of the myth and prepare a shopping list. Wont you like to share the pics of your star in fab clothes?

4. DevikaS

DevikaS Senior IL'ite

I feel it is better to buy clothes before baby comes .. as they will be YOUR choice of clothing.. if u wait for buying after the baby comes .. they will be some1 else choice. .and u will have no time / energy to go out shopping for the baby..

5. SmithaB

SmithaB New IL'ite

Even I am in my 7th month now and already started to buy clothes...not extensive but onesies, caps, socks and stuff. thats it. But I am stockpiling on diapers as it would be really difficult once the baby comes.

Also I am planning to go for cloth diapers ..... disposables are just when we go outing.

6. lalisiva

lalisiva Bronze IL'ite

The reason is simple. There was no ultrasound back then to tell whether it's a boy or girl. So people will have to wait until baby is born to buy gender specific items.