transfer of medical records-----pls help!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Pregnancy & Labor' started by SurekhaKrishna, Feb 19, 2010.

1. SurekhaKrishna

SurekhaKrishna Bronze IL'ite

Hi Ladies,
    We are thinking of switching OB/GYN as she may not attend for delivery in a good hospital(in terms of better services without confusing) we came across.

How will the old doctor office transfer my medical records to the new Doctor office?How to deal with old doctor office staff?How the doctor will react if she knows that we are planning for switching to another doc.
    Will the office staff help us in proper transfering of medical records?

Can anyone share with me what will be the pre-natal tests starting from 28 weeks pregnancy till your delivery?
    My glucose test results are normal.I am looking for details like is there any more ultrasound required by the new OB/GYN?

Awaiting your replies.

2. vids

vids Senior IL'ite

It is very easy to transfer the medical records. You can call up the reception and ask them the procedure.

When I changed my doctor, they asked me to fax a letter to them stating the purpose. So I faxed a letter asking them to transfer my records to the new doctor -- they will either fax all your records to the new doc, or you can pick it up from them and manually hand it over to the new doc.. They charged me around $30 for it (Many places do not charge) ---Whole procedure was very easy; when I went to pick up the records, the receptionist was very friendly too...no issues!!

Hope someone else will give inputs on the tests ... as I am only 14 weeks now :)

Good luck SK!!

3. ranjoose

ranjoose Bronze IL'ite

Hi Surekha,
    Transfer of records is no problem at all. Simply go to your new doctor and ask them to send a fax to your previous doctor. They will tranfer it. Some may charge you for the transfer.
    About testes after 28 week, you will have a group b strep tst at week 36. There is no need for an ultrasound as long as your fundal length is normal. If they suspect anythings, the doctors will advice you for one.

Congrats and good luck!!!!

4. SurekhaKrishna

thank you vids,ranjoose for replying.

vids and ranjoose,
    The other day I was calling doctor office for appointment.they asked to fax my pre-natal reports to them.
    I am not sure whether the old doctor staff will do any kind of unnecessary delay.
    Can you tell me within how many days in general, I can fax my medical records to new OB/GYN.

5. vids

vids Senior IL'ite

Usually they do not delay unnecessarily. I think they will do it within a couple of days - you can ask them how long will it take. I guess the doc has to sign off on the transfer and as soon as that happens, they will fax it. Alternately, you can pick up the report from them and take it to ur new doc's office during your appointment as well (instead of them faxing it over)!

Just call up the old doc's office & ask for the time frame, they will let you know :thumbsup

6. archana2008

archana2008 Gold IL'ite

Hi Surekha,

Ela unnavu? Transfering of records should not be any problem.
    Call doc office and find out.
    Take care of health.
    Hope you find a good doctor soon.

Bye
    Archana :)

7. manjulats

manjulats Silver IL'ite

Transferring of records shouldn't be a problem.Just find a new doctor and ask them to request a copy of records.

Some doctors do a scan at 20 weeks or at 32 weeks depending on your health condition.You will be checked for GD on 2nd trisemester and 3rd trisemester will have a strep B test.

8. SurekhaKrishna

hi archana,
    Nenu bagunnanu.I too want a good doctor for my delivery.
    I am praying to God to give me a good doctor.

9. SurekhaKrishna

hi manju,
    The catch here is every OB/GYN office i have called up asking me for the medical records to be faxed by me even before setting me up as a new patient.:bonk
    So cannot get an appointment with new OB/GYN till now.
    The current OB/GYN is not at all friendly and very rude in behaviour.just waiting for my records to come out of her office.

10. manjulats

manjulats Silver IL'ite

When you had the intial check ups with your pregnancy do you have the copy of the results with each visit.Tell the new doctor about this and see what she says.Otherwise if you are just waiting to get out,they might take that test again.

It depends on your insurance coverage too.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2010