Female Companion in Labor & Delivery room

Discussion in 'Pregnancy & Labor' started by dubbi, Dec 16, 2009.

1. dubbi

dubbi Bronze IL'ite

Hi

Did you know that the state of Tamil Nadu passed an ordinance that all women delivering in a gov't institution are allowed one female companion in the labor and delivery room. Please use this info so you can be supported by an emotionally strong and physically capable person who can support you during your delivery in hospitals where husbands are not allowed.

Policy Reform Options Database ( PROD ), India
    The Hindu : Tamil Nadu / Chennai News : `Birth companion' scheme at Corporation maternity centres
    The Hindu : Tamil Nadu / Chennai News : Companion, a boon to pregnant women

Cheers
    Deepa

2. Priyaalagu

Priyaalagu Silver IL'ite

hey deepa...thats a good news & one step forward...........our country s developing:cheers. its reall emotional strength to have our near ones beside us n the labor room:)

3. VidyaaJ

VidyaaJ Silver IL'ite

Deepa, good to see that people are now understanding the importance of the need of a person in the labour...

Thanks for sharing!

4. sumanr

sumanr Silver IL'ite

Great News.
    Just that we still have some private hospitals where labour support is not allowed. Hope they follow this soon.

5. Priya_Mommy

Priya_Mommy Gold IL'ite

Dubbi,
    Thanks for the links, indeed will help out our Tamilnadu expecting ILs.

6. loonypooh

loonypooh Silver IL'ite

deepa honestly, i dont think i cld hv done without DH in the birthing room......i think they should redo their policies and allow their hubbies as well :)
    but oh, well!

7. AnithaPartha

AnithaPartha IL Hall of Fame

That's awesome news :)

But only a female companion is no good.. I was 500% confident that I will deliver by baby very well since my DH was near me praying GOD like anything..

But in USA during epidural process none are allowed inside labour rooms !!

8. laurie

laurie New IL'ite

Hello,
    I am a french lady and I will give birth in Chennai ( Appollo hospitals). I am a little bit scared as It is not my country and my english is not so good. My doctor is doctor Kondammal. Do you know her ? at one time I wanted to change because the communication is not always easy. Another question. Do you think my husband will be allowed in the labour room ?
    thank you
    laurie

9. tikka

tikka Gold IL'ite

Ladies, just a reminder that Deepa posted about government hospitals where there are no private rooms (at least for a vast majority) and often labour rooms are shared by more than 2 mothers.
    Laurie, congratulations on your pregnancy. I do believe Apollo allows husbands in the labour rooms, but you will have to talk it out with your OB. Have you considered using someone to translate for you till you learn either English or Tamil. If you need help with learning the languages, you can contact Global Adjustments, who run language classes for non-Tamil speakers.
    Good luck.

10. laurie

laurie New IL'ite

thank you Tikka for your reply. I spoke to my doctor and she said that my husband can be with me during the delivery. So I am feeling better as he is my only family here in India