Ultra sound for Down's Syndrome in India

Discussion in 'Pregnancy & Labor' started by rosenav, Oct 31, 2009.

1. rosenav

rosenav Silver IL'ite

Hello ladies,

I will be travelling to India end on Nov , by which I will be 13 weeks.... I'm trying to get my ultra sound for Down's Syndrome down in US.

But if i dnt get appointments and need to leave to India, can i get this done in India??

It might be a silly question....... coz my frnd in Hyd said she could not get that done as only few hospitals have facilities . Is this true ??

2. Pavarun

Pavarun Silver IL'ite

I think you are talking about the Nuchal Translucency test (NT scan). There is a window between which the test needs to be done - Believe it is from 11.5 weeks to 13.5 weeks so if you will be close to 13 weeks when you leave to India you should plan on getting it done here.

I had the same issue with my pregnancy - in my case I returned from India when I was 12.5 weeks, so I got a scan done in India and immediately after I came back I got a scan done here. I did it in Bangalore. Not all hospitals have the facility but big hospitals in major cities should do it.

Another difference - in India they only did the NT scan but here in the US they did an NT scan and used another protein test or something like (can't quite remember) to narrow down the result/probability.

3. aarthi7

aarthi7 Senior IL'ite

hi rosenav
    as pavarun pointed out the NT scan is done at around 11-13 weeks of pregnancy along with a blood test called MATERNAL ALPHAFETO PROTEIN, normally done for down syndrome screening,these days almost all recognised maternity homes have these facilities, atleast in big cities,,if you are planning to get it done,better to get in touch with your doctor and fix up dates accordingly..

aarthi

Last edited: Oct 31, 2009
  4. Aadhusmom

Aadhusmom Gold IL'ite

NT and PAPP A are definitely available in Chennai. Where in India will you be? The best ultrasound places are usually the busiest ones - so make sure you book an appointment well ahead.

Vanathi.

5. rosenav

rosenav Silver IL'ite

Thank you ladies for your responses ...

I live in Hyderabad - AP

I have my next check-up with my doc on nov 12, so i'm really going to ask him if they can do it or can he req a appointment fr me, and let him know I'm travelling so that he can do the U/S in US itself ....... fingers crossed, hoping fr best
    :)

6. sandy

sandy New IL'ite

Down syndrome test - is it available in Hyderabad?

hi everyone,
    I am 11weeks pregnant..I am planning to travel to in 14th-23rd week..but my genec suggested me to go for down syndrome test(ultrasound+blood tst) in 13th week fallowing with blood test in 15th week... i am going to have here ultra+blood in 13th week,that is ok..
    But my question is ,will i have my blood work in 15th week in hyderabad?
    Is down syndrome test avail in hyd?
    please give answers my question,that will helps me alot..

Last edited: Dec 17, 2009
  7. Pavarun

Pavarun Silver IL'ite

re: Down syndrome test - is it available in Hyderabad?

Yes, the Nuchal Translucency test screen should be available in major hospitals. I don't know about Hyd, but I had it done at Bangalore so I'm assuming Hyd hospitals will have it.

There is a window of between 11th - 13th weeks where this should be done so book your appointment as soon as you land to ensure you get it.

8. sandy

sandy New IL'ite

Hi All,
    I am 11weeks pregnant.I have risk analysis(Ultrasound+blood test) appointement in 13th week in USA.I am planning to travel to india in 14th week,but my doctor suggested me go for another blood test in 15th week that is related to 13th week (Ultra+blood test).that means ,they are going to comapre these to tests..I don't know wheather i can take decision on this..but i suspecting that in hyd hopsitals we will have this facility to go for blood test in 15th week..

please any one help me is this 15th week test available in hyd ?if it is there where exactly available?

answers are very helpful..

sandy

9. rosenav

rosenav Silver IL'ite

sandy,

I heard the Fernandez Maternity Hospital has the facilities, by frnd got her tests done there. You can contact them and find out the details.

10. sandy

sandy New IL'ite

Hi Rose,
    Thanks for the information..
    sandy