Ultrasound at 12 weeks,NT not possible?

Discussion in 'Pregnancy & Labor' started by anjalika400, Oct 28, 2009.

1. anjalika400

anjalika400 Junior IL'ite

Hi. I have had my ultrasound today(11 week 5 days). The baby was moving, flipping and swimming quite actively.heart beat was 168 . the techncian said that everything seems normal.But she couldn't get the neck measurement for NT test as the baby was curling up and moving.she asked me to roll on my side to get a different position.the baby was seen all the time, but it is still not clear to me why she couldn't get the measurement.I was not on full bladder though because they didn't tell me that.anyway they have rescheduled me for another NT test in 3 days. I never heard this before. is this actually normal?

2. Happysoul1234

Happysoul1234 Gold IL'ite

totally normal .. sometimes baby is just not cooperative or the technician may not be experienced enough.
    in my case baby was too active and kept moving around too much to get the measurements. we had to wait 1/2 hr for him to calm down before trying again.

you dont need a full bladder for the nt.

good luck for the next one ... u get to see baby again ... hurray!

3. satin

satin Silver IL'ite

Normal! I had my NT ultrasound at 13 weeks and first they did abdominal U/S, they were not able to see as the baby was sitting :)...then they did vaginal U/S again the baby was not co-operative it was jumping and doing all those stuff...the doctor told me to come again after 2 days then when I got up to dress again she said she will do abdominal U/S again then the baby was perfect so she was able to take the NT measurement and everything came out normal.Even we were scared when she first told us to come back again,it just depends on the baby's position,dont worry...atleast u get to see ur baby again :)

I dont think u need to have a full baldder for this.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2009
  4. lee50

lee50 Silver IL'ite

Hi,

There is nothing to worry about. The NT test would reveal the fluid behind the baby's neck.

You can go through the link to help you understand better
    Nuchal translucency (NT) scan

Think positive. Keep praying.

All the best.

5. aarthizone

aarthizone Silver IL'ite

Hi
    i am 10 weeks pregnant. Actually till 8 weeks I didn't take any prenatal vitamins becoz only at 8 weeks I went to first check up. After doctor prescribed, I am taking tablets. Actually what's my thinking(worrying) before pregnancy and during 3-4 weeks pregnancy folic acid is much important. Every pregnant women need to take at least 400mcg of folic acid during early pregnancy. Otherwise it leads to birth defects. But I don't know whether I had that much folic acid amount in my daily food during those days. I only had rice everyday, weekly twice spinach, toor dal etc, then sometimes egg, everyday tea, then dosa,idly,chappathi and side dish for that. That's it. Not even I took much vegetables those days. Is that food habit affects my folic acid requirements during my early pregnancy? Is that leads to any birth defects? Plz help by giving suggestions.

And one more thing i went outside in my 9 week pregnancy on oct 18 exactly during the lunar eclipse time. I was directly exposed under sky during the whole lunar eclipse time (May be 30 mins)

So I coincide both things and worrying very much nowadays whether any risk to my baby. Next month at 12 weeks I'm going to have nuchal transluceny ultrasound . Is that ultrasound completely detects any defects or is any chances of defects missing I ultrasound? Plz give suggestions. Anyone have experience like mine?

i only pray to god to have a healthy baby.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2013
  6. peartree

peartree Platinum IL'ite

Hi

With my first one, I did not even know until 10 weeks that I was pregnant and I of course wasn't taking pre-natal vitamins until then. I have a healthy 3 year old. Also, lunar eclipse, you do know that only we Hindus believe in it. I highly doubt that the moon god or Rahu or Ketu or whomever would really keep track of who is Hindu, went our during that time and accordingly harm the baby of that person. Do not worry about it. Start taking pre-natal vitamins now and just eat healthy going forward. You'll be just fine.

7. Gauri03

Gauri03 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Folic acid is recommended because it significantly brings down the percentage of children 'likely to be affected' by spinal bifida and neural tube defects. The chances that a baby will be born with these defects are very very low. So even if you did not take multivitamins, the risk to your child is very small. The only thing the multivitamin would have done would be to further reduce this small risk. Don't worry. In all likelihood your child will be just fine. If you ate a fairly balanced diet, which based on your description you did, your baby should not be at any greater risk than most babies.

Birth defects and eclipses have no connection to each other.

The NT scan will give you a likelihood value for certain birth defects like Down's syndrome. It cannot conclusively tell you whether your child has a birth defect. If your baby's readings fall in the risky range, further tests will be conducted to confirm the diagnosis.

8. aarthizone

aarthizone Silver IL'ite

Thank u so much for the first positive reply from you.. Nowadays I can't even tell these things to anyone who are near to me. So I dropped all my worries here.. But still something inside my heart thinking about that even I try to avoid it. With these worries how can I pass the remaining 7 months pregnancy . oMG it's terrible. Till I see my healthy baby after delivery I think I will not satisfy myself. I think so. Anyway positive comments from you people make me feel something relax. Thank u

9. SuccessMinded

SuccessMinded Gold IL'ite

Aarti, like others said its good to have, but many people don't have the vitamins as they don't know.
    Don't we all know of teenage or unwanted pregnancies, where the babies are healthy? do you think they were taking prenatal vitamins when they were not even expecting a child?
    My own sister didn't take vitamins till 7-8 weeks and has a healthy baby, myself also didn't know until 6 weeks and started vitamins after that only.. don't worry.

Keep mind positive and listen to hindu slokhas and chants regularly, will give a soothing feeling.