Looking small for 35 weeks

Discussion in 'Pregnancy & Labor' started by waitingForTej, Oct 5, 2009.

1. waitingForTej

waitingForTej Senior IL'ite

Gals,

I'm not sure if I should be worried, but whenever I run into someone they say "I look really small" for 8 months pregnant. I go to doctor check ups quite regularly and she measures the fundal height, checks heartbeat, my weight and says everything is on track. I also feel fetal movements quite regularly during the day (and night). I recently attended a "Meet the doctors" even at my hospital and saw other pregnant women who were bigger than me (Some of them had their due dates after mine!).

I'm a bit worried, DH and I are hoping everything is fine as it's our first baby. If any of you had the same experience, please do share.

cheers,

waitingForTej

Last edited: Oct 5, 2009

2. Ansuya

Ansuya Platinum IL'ite

WaitingforTej

I had exactly the same experience when I was pregnant - at my childbirth class, one of the other women cornered me in the bathroom and quizzed me about my due date etc. because she thought I looked too small. It was quite amusing, considering I felt like a (small) elephant at the time. It may just be a matter of genetics and other factors that make you "seem" too small for 8 months' pregnant - as long as your doctor says you are on track, I don't think you need to worry.

I also went 10 days past my due date, and went to the movies, grocery shopping etc. right up until I gave birth (anything to take my mind off things!) and even then, people didn't think I was nine months' pregnant (again, I felt like I was smuggling a watermelon, so it was ironic). My baby was born weighing in at 3.23kg (which I think is about or just below average - 7 pounds) and was 21.5 inches tall. She's feeding and growing well now.

I think it's a good thing not to worry about the numbers too much. I've noticed it's a kind of a competition amongst expectant and new mothers, which can be fun, but I try to only take my doctor's comments and advice as a cause for concern. Even now, my husband is always frantically doing measurements and calculations every time the paediatrician tells us about my baby's height and weight percentiles, while I just look on in amusement - he's so into it all it's like he's raising a prize steer or getting a boxer ready for a heavyweight fight!

You're probably going to keep getting these comments, and it will intensify once your baby is born and continue through the first years. Keep in mind that there's a very wide range of what is considered "normal", and what other people measure or judge just by looking at you can't and shouldn't be taken all that seriously, in my opinion.

Enjoy the rest of your pregnancy, and best wishes for your labour and delivery ;)

3. tashidelek2002

tashidelek2002 IL Hall of Fame

You should watch a few episodes of that show I Didn't Know I Was Pregnant....you will see how many women don't show (and don't even feel movement). Family members and freinds corroborate how the woman did not show at all...some still wearing same jeans etc. The babies produced are just fine. Stop worrying.

4. jhalli27

jhalli27 Bronze IL'ite

hi, im having the same issue. im just starting 8th month now. and all of them - including my family, folks, friends - find it difficult to believe im 8 months. but doc says everything is fine.
    so not worrying too much and just hoping/praying all goes well to hv a healthy baby :)

god bless u and good luck :)

5. satin

satin Silver IL'ite

I am just 3 months pregnant,but always remember that no two pregnant women are same and please dont compare yourself with other pregnant women,as long as all your check ups and your baby's heartbeat,etc etc comes out fine there is no need to worry,my husband always says that pregnant women always wanted something to worry about ...including me :)

6. waitingForTej

Hey ladies,

Thank you so much for your replies.

@Ansuya: it's nice of you to relate from personal experience. I also feel just like that- very agile, no major complaints or swellings so am hoping this would also lead to a short and easy labor and a healthy baby :)

@Tina: Yes, I wasn't worried at all at first, but then when so many people in difference circumstances tell you that and DH also gets worried, it was hard to make the thought from bugging me. I've heard of that show but haven't gotten around to watch it. Will catch it tonight

@Jhalli, looks like we are in the same boat! All the best to you too!

@satn, your DH is right we preggo women have already started worrying about our LOs and this is just the beginning!

Thanks again ladies for your reassurance. Hopefully the ride will continue to be as smooth as it has been so far.

Good luck to all of you

waitingForTej

7. AnithaA

AnithaA Bronze IL'ite

Hi,

Dont worry. Some folks even warned me to be careful as the baby was going to be small - reason, I looked small. Like Ansuya says, I felt like an elephant though! :) Nilu was a very healthy 3.75 kgs and loong when she was born. So don't take heed. Enjoy your pregnancy!

8. waitingForTej

Thanks Anitha, your reassurance is comforting.