Yellow Discharge- Is this mucous Plug?

Discussion in 'Pregnancy & Labor' started by prettywomen123, Sep 29, 2009.

1. prettywomen123

prettywomen123 Senior IL'ite

Hi Ladies,

I am 31 weeks pregnant.This morning I've had a thick yellow discharge about 2 times. I am not able to tell the difference because I always used to have white discharge from the start of pregnancy. Later it became itchy and had thrush. Though that vanished over time, this time its yellow in color, no pain or itchinesss. My LO has been kicking quite hard down the bottom since yesterday night and its quite painful cause LO isn't quite :)

Is this yellow discharge something called mucous plug? Sorry I have complete lack of knowledge about all this as this is my first pregnancy and need to know what I should be worried about after 30 weeks pregnancy.

Guidance and advice much appreciated!

Regards
    PW

Last edited: Sep 29, 2009

2. loonypooh

loonypooh Silver IL'ite

PW, if i were to answer this i few days back i wouldnt hv known, but now i do, hv been losing my plug in bits and pieces for 3 days now.
    it is clear /egg whitish in color and very jelly like. its very peculiar so you would know when you see it.

also everytime i lose the plug, it is followed by menstrual like cramps and they make me feel extremely uncomfy... this may not be the same for everyone though!

i dont think its the plug, and just incase if you lose it this early, it will grow back. so no worries...
    however since you say its "yellow" , does it have a fishy smell? i hope its no infection again... just air that place and keep wiping it off and clean.

some more info for you:

What does the mucous plug look like?

Some women describe the mucous plug as looking more like the mucous in your nose. It may look like a thick glob of stringy mucous, thicker than what you would see with normal vaginal secretions. If you are close to going into labor you may see pink, brown, or red blood around the edges of the mucous plug. This is called the “bloody show”.
    When do you lose your mucous plug?

Some women will lose their mucous plug or part of their mucous plug weeks before they go into labor. Losing your mucous plug does not always mean labor will begin shortly. Keep in mind that even if a woman has begun to dilate, it may be weeks before she actually goes into labor.

2 people like this.
  3. prettywomen123

prettywomen123 Senior IL'ite

Hi Poonam,

Thanks for your reply. I've got some basic knowledge now about this. Only 2 weeks for u. I am getting scared as u get nearer to your due date. Looks like you have coped well enough. Yestrday I couldnt get any sleep due to breathlessness. I was walking all night. Infact I had my dinner 2 idly's at 6pm and then had a glass of milk at 8. Went to sleep at 9 but still yestrday was a nightmare for me. My tummy isnt very big though and I am so far coping quite well but this breathlessness is scaring me.

Called up my GP for the yellow discharge issue and she said its usual and a little is OK. She said unless its itchy its not an infection. Haven't head that after that, so I think it has disappeared. I have an MW visit next week, so I could ask her all this then.

Good luck to you!

Regards
    PW

Last edited: Oct 1, 2009
  4. loonypooh

loonypooh Silver IL'ite

dont worry too much, i am sure the discharge is just fine.. and ofcourse you can cross chk with your MW too.

be strong PW, discomforts will increase in the last month especially, but once the LO is out, things will be slowly back to normal! breathlessness will be there , but dont let that put you off, continue your walks although at a slow pace and keep yourself busy with small ity bity works.
    listen to mozart and relaxation music, that helps me whenever my mind is too occupied with these pains at night.
    i cant even keep a track of the different "pains" i face every single day my pregnancy progresses, but i know all this has to come to an end soon!!and now its just a bunchful of days left...
    just 2 months more for ya, and you shall be fine! wish u good luck.

5. aditibose78

aditibose78 Silver IL'ite

Hey!

Here are a few pointers regarding discharge during pregnancy.

1. A little discharge is normal unless its very itchy or very smelly. In that case do consult your doctor as it might be the beginning of an infection.

2. A little discharge is normal because during pregnancy the body increases the amount of estrogen production which increases the blood flow toward the vagina.

3. The amount of discharge increases as the pregnancy advances. The color and the consistency of it also changes.

4. This discharge is called leukorrhea.

5. The watery discharge is made up of secretions from the vagina, the cervix, the old vaginal wall. It is usually odorless in the first trimester. slowly it changes to a light yellow discharge.

6. If your discharge is light yellow, odorless and thin in consistency then don't worry. However, if it is thick yellow to greenish in color with a strong odor then it could be the following infections -
    - an yeast infection because of the hormonal changes. Usually anti yeast vaginal cream will be given by your doctor
    - an STD which if untreated can lead to complication during pregnancy and even labor
    - cervical polyps
    - a bacterial infection which causes burning during urination and thick discharge. pregnant ladies suffering from this infection usually have smaller babies.
    For more on this here is the link Yellow Discharge During Pregnancy

7. The best way to keep off infections is by keeping the vagina clean and dry, avoid stress and eating yogurt which keeps the yeast at bay

Here are some more links from the IL forum where the same topic has been discussed
    http://www.indusladies.com/forums/pregnancy/49220-white-discharge-common-during-pregnancy.html

http://www.indusladies.com/forums/pregnancy/63661-pale-yellowish-discharge-after-urination.html

http://www.indusladies.com/forums/pregnancy/44386-brown-discharge-during-first-trimester.html

http://www.indusladies.com/forums/pregnancy/73921-whitish-watery-discharge-32-weeks.html