Leg pain :(

Discussion in 'Pregnancy & Labor' started by coolgirl011, Sep 23, 2009.

1. coolgirl011

coolgirl011 Senior IL'ite

Hi All

I am 24 week pregnant .i am having bad leg pain (upper right thigh ) :bowdown....

Is this cowman during pregnancy .will my pain increase now on wards ...

Plzzz enlighten me on this ...

Thanks ....

2. loonypooh

loonypooh Silver IL'ite

coolgirl, this pain is normal, and there is little you can do to relieve it.
    if at times your pain becomes unbearable talk to your doc, i was asked to take DOLO
    ( a mild paracetamol) for those unbearable days.
    while sleeping tuck pillows under your feet. also if you are comfortable tuck a pillow under your right thigh/knee when you sleep on your left side.
    keep changing seating positions often... there are a few pelvic floor exercises along with execises that support and strengthen your thighs, which unfortunately i couldnt do due to sciatic pain which started in the 8th month for me.

use hot pads to relieve pain

whether this pain will continue, increase or decrease, cannot be predecided. all i can say is they will be gone once your LO is out.
    hang in there, just like many of us are

Last edited: Sep 23, 2009
  3. coolgirl011

coolgirl011 Senior IL'ite

Hi loonypooh

Thanks a lot for your reply :rotfl..let me try the pillow method .......

4. Happysoul1234

Happysoul1234 Gold IL'ite

are u taking calcium supplement? leg pain can be a sign of calcium deficiency. I took a calcium/magnesium supplement around 25th week of pregnancy due to leg pain and it really helped.

5. Garg

Garg New IL'ite

Mrs. coolgirl
    The reason of ur pain is as the pregnancy advances it changes the curve of spine and so pressing the nerve roots. In later months in some it gives appearance of sciatica pain, but all this is temporary and after delivery it will disappear automatically. when u feel pain is un bearable voveron 50 may be helpful but u don't take without consultation of ur doctor.:)

What causes sciatic nerve pain during pregnancy?

The sciatic nerve runs under your uterus to your legs. The cause of sciatic nerve pain is thought to be associated with pressure on the nerve caused by the developing baby.
    What can I do to treat sciatic nerve pain during pregnancy?

The simplest remedy is to lie on your side, opposite of the pain. This may help relieve the pressure on the nerve. Avoid heavy lifting and minimize standing for long periods of time. If you experience pressure while standing, try elevating one foot and resting it on something. Swimming may also ease discomfort.
    You may experience relief by applying heat or cold to the troubled area. Your health care provider may recommend acetaminophen to relieve the pain.
    It is important to contact your health care provider if the pain becomes constant, or increases in severity or frequency.

Compiled using information from the following source:
    Mayo Clinic Guide To A Healthy Pregnancy Harms, Roger W., M.D., et al, Part 3.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2010
    1 person likes this.
  6. lavii

lavii Gold IL'ite

i was a very helathy person with no complaints before pregnancy
    now
    i have headache,body pains(more of back and leg pain),vomits,sickness,breath heavily even if i walk few stpes(not overweighed),abdominal pain what not
    now my mil got fed up of complaints and says its common and i am overacting for all this to be honest may be common but i know how painful it is:drowning

7. YesBee

YesBee Bronze IL'ite

Lavii,

I too had all the health issues that you mentioned during my pregnancy days. I used to tell everyone that I can assure anyone in future that it is all normal and nothing to worry as that was the reply I got from my doctor whenever I complained:). But one good thing that you can expect is that the vomitting will mostly stop by 5th month beginning.

8. hydgrr

hydgrr Bronze IL'ite

hi lavi,
    i would say u shd contact ur doc if u feel that something is not normal like for any sort of pains, etc. I used to and still do that so often. My DH teases me saying that i am paranoid or overreacting. But most of the times it might be nothing which is good but sometimes it might be something. So better to be careful.
    -Priya
    [​IMG]

9. lavii

lavii Gold IL'ite

YesBee,hydgrr
    thanks so much for replies